Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

97 flashing CEL & Running Rough

Search this Thread

Old March 27th, 2009, 4:16 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow. Thanks for the info. Won't be able to get to it this weekend, but hopefully next.

Thanks again and I'll let you know how it turns out.
Old March 27th, 2009, 4:25 PM
CF Junior Member

Thanks in2pro for all the pictures. I feel a little more comfortable now seeing it all apart. Not going to be able to do it this weekend, but hopefully next. Will post results.

Thanks again!

Sorry for the double post! Didn't realize that the one above here posted!

Last edited by timdogg1313; March 28th, 2009 at 4:30 PM.
Old March 27th, 2009, 9:34 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The unit in his picture is not the new updated ones. The new ones have less of a failure rate.
Old April 1st, 2009, 4:59 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by in2pro
I did this on a Saturday, make sure you have everything you need
poppets, injectors, gaskets (fuel meter body, intake and fuel line) anti-freeze you will need to remove the top radiator hose and snorkle to remove the intake cover.

correction: I did it on a Tuesday not a Saturday, I would plan for 4-6 hrs to complete that's taking your time and stopping for lunch and explaining to kids what you are doing
in2pro,

I was studying the pictures and it looks like you just bought new injectors(individually) and not the body as well. Is this correct and if so it seems like it would not be cost effective to do it that way.
Old April 2nd, 2009, 10:20 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Yes I did the individual injectors, poppets and regulator. there was really nothing to the body, it was sound and in good shape, that may save you time if you can find the entire body with OEM parts in it but I bet full bodies will only be aftermarket.
It made a world of difference when I was done, the truck fired right up, I did have to redo the fuel lines as I hadn't seated them fully when re-assembling, not a biggie just hate cleaning up the gas because the smell sticks to everything
Old April 2nd, 2009, 10:31 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

My neighbor is a manager of an auto parts chain and gets me the parts at cost, I tell him what i need to do and he gets the parts, I'm guessing that if at the time (2006) if the body and the upgraded parts that MD referred to where available he would have gotten them.
That is part of our agreement (jesting) if he's going to get me the parts I have to do it right and use OEM parts i.e. AC / Delco, he saw I had a fram air filter in once and he brought me home an AC one for free told me to change it...
The fram did cause a problem, a piece of the foam had come off from the inside and had lodged in the MAF sensor and was giving me false check engine lights, after putting the AC one in, never a problem...
To top it off I get free home delivery! I just have to wait till he's on his way home...needless to say he gets a nice bottle of Crown Royal at Christmas...
Old April 2nd, 2009, 12:01 PM
CF Junior Member

What a great deal for both of you! I'll drive down parts from Dallas if there is a bottle of Crown waiting when I get there! Makes sense why you just changed the injectors then. The complete full body is an aftermarket product and I don't really like that, but since it's going to be a difference of close to $200+, I'm going to have to go ahead and use it as money is tight right now. The full body set comes with a new pressure regulator as well, so that will save me some bucks. What should I be looking for when resetting the fuel lines so that I don't get gas everywhere? You are correct when you say that it gets on everything and is hard to get off. Especially pourous rubber type material. Changed the fuel filter and got gas on some stuff and it still won't come out. Thanks again for the help! If you can think of anything else that I should think of please post. Where the throttle body cables hard to get off? What about the fuel lines, where they hard to get off or do they just pop out?
Old April 2nd, 2009, 2:30 PM
Administrator

Received 157 Likes on 155 Posts

Damn, I knew Fram oil filters were a POS but didn't know the air filters were too. Live and learn.

BTW that is a great deal for you.
Old April 2nd, 2009, 4:54 PM
CF Junior Member

Can I clean the inside of the upper manifold with anything? I want to use a degreaser on the exterior of it, but wasn't sure about the interior part. What about the other parts as well?
Thanks,
Old April 2nd, 2009, 10:25 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The update comes as a complete unit. It a far superior set up.It no longer uses a poppet. The poppet fails easily with any kind of dirt. The new style has a injector at the end of the hose similar to injectors on most vehicles. It is a electronic injector

Quick Reply: 97 flashing CEL & Running Rough