Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

97 flashing CEL & Running Rough

Search this Thread

Old April 9th, 2009, 2:08 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

No I don't think you need to recheck gap, you can check the plugs for fouling but with the new cap and rotor, injector cleaner any fouling will soon be history unless you are getting a great deal of oil past the rings.
You can probably back off on the injector cleaner to about a bottle every 10th fill up or about 5k miles. If you can try filling up with Chevron fuel as it already has the additives.
I've been doing the the additive in my 07 Tahoe at about every 7-10k miles
not because I have an issue but more of a long term non scientific study to see if down the road it will really make a difference when I get to 100k miles.
I have been using the top tier fuels (Cheveron / Tetco and Shell) since I bought her, I previously used Exxon (not top tier) in my 97 Tahoe.
Old April 9th, 2009, 3:48 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doing better than me with top tier gas as I buy whatever I'm closest too! Didn't get the truck new, so figure that the previous owner probably did the same thing. Wonder if the additives that you can buy that are connected to the pumps are any good? Probably would be better off spending my money on proven technology, but man do they make it convenient.
Thanks again for your help. Installing dual flowmasters this week, so can't wait to hear her rumble!
Old April 9th, 2009, 4:16 PM
Administrator

Received 158 Likes on 156 Posts

FWIW, Techron is about the best short of using that 3M FI system cleaner kit.
Old June 21st, 2009, 4:20 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by in2pro
continued..

I used all AC/Delco parts, if I recall the gaskets came as a kit, also replace the pressure regulator while you have everything off, the regulator looks like it should have something connected to it but it does not..

Note the paper towel in the TBI, that was for when I was removing the intake to prevent anything from falling thru to the intake

protect the cylinder intakes after removing the intake cover, I was under a tree (lol shade tree) and didn't want leaves or twigs falling on the windshield and sloping right off into the intakes.

DON"T for get to removed the paper towels before installing the cover back on. I did use paper towels with the reasoning that if they did go it they would cause the least amount of damage and would probably burn and pass thru the system if it did happen, a shop rag would not.

Can you tell me how you removed each injector from the spider assembly? Do they just pull out?
Old June 21st, 2009, 4:36 PM
Administrator

Honestly I don't recall exactly how they came out but they were not hard, I can look thru my manual and verify the removal process but here is a pic of them after I removed them...

https://chevroletforum.com/forum/alb...4&pictureid=19

Last edited by in2pro; June 21st, 2009 at 4:37 PM. Reason: corrected picture link url
Old June 21st, 2009, 5:44 PM
CF Beginner

In2pro,
Thanks for the response. I am out in the 150 degree garage right now trying to remove them. I am not replacing them just yet. Money is REAL tight and I am just doing some troubleshooting right now. Basically, I am consistently getting a P0304 #4 misfire. I have tried everything else. What I tried to do was remove just the tubing and the poppet from the base of the injector for #2 and #4 and swapped them there and at the intake. I did this to see if the issue switched to a #2 misfire. Then I would know that it was the poppet itself. No luck. It stayed on # 4. Now, I want to remove the injector itself and swap #2 and #4 at the spider assembly. Of course the poppets will be put in the corresponing hole on the intake side. Then, if the issue changes to a #2 misfire, then I know it is the injector for sure. It runs fine, but my inspection is out at the end of next month and it won't pass with an SES light.

It seems that you have to insert some type of pin on the connector side to make them unsnap. Does that sound familiar?
Old June 21st, 2009, 5:55 PM
CF Beginner

In2pro,
I just got them out. Will let you know if this troubleshooting technique works. I know you are not suppose to only replace one, but if the error moves to #2, then I have no choice but to only do that one that is bad. Thanks for the help.
Old June 21st, 2009, 8:49 PM
CF Beginner

In2pro, I was right. I switched the #4 and # 2 injector at the spider assembly and the poppets at the intake side and the error is now a P0302 #2 misfire. So I am positive just that one injector is bad. Thanks for your help.
Old June 22nd, 2009, 4:47 PM
Administrator

Good deal , I hear you on being tight on the funding, sorry I didnt get back to you sooner

Jeff
Old August 3rd, 2009, 10:45 AM
CF Beginner

Update: replaced single injector for $60 and engine is smooth as silk. No SES light. Hope it stays that way.

Quick Reply: 97 flashing CEL & Running Rough