Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

97 model, engine won't crank!

Old January 3rd, 2009, 12:09 PM
CF Beginner

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default 97 model, engine won't crank!

Hi, the other day I tried to start my 1997 Tahoe, but it refused. When I turn the key all the way, I hear a single click, which I believe to be the solenoid engaging the gear on the cranking motor. However, it does not seem to be making any effort to turn. I am also pretty sure it is not the battery because after charging it overnight, nothing changed. I tried turning the headlights on, and they do not seem to be at all dim. Any help would be appreciated!
Old January 3rd, 2009, 12:31 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts
Default RE: 97 model, engine won't crank!

need to have the battery load tested, it may have enough voltage to power the radio and head lamps but doesnt have enough current to power the starter motor..
Have the battery load tested and if its good then start looking at the starter.
If the battery is more then 3 years old its probably bad.
Old January 3rd, 2009, 12:40 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks, I'll try that...however I guess I did forget to mention that the battery was replaced just a few months ago...
Old January 3rd, 2009, 2:43 PM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts

Since your battery is probably good, I'm guessing that it's the starter. Maybe just the solenoid.
Old January 3rd, 2009, 3:44 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

sounds like the starter to me.
The solenoid is engaging, but there is probably either a bad connection in the solenoid, or the brushes are worn in the starter motor itself.
One thing to try, is to have a helper turn the ignition to crank and hold it there, while you take a small hammer, and TAP (do not hit too hard) the starter body. It could be enough to jar the brushes and make contact and make the starter turn. If it starts, either drive it straight to the shop, or go buy a starter for it and replace it
Old January 3rd, 2009, 5:45 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the tips guys. So it turns out I jump started it to have it load-tested at Auto Zone, and yes the battery was perfectly fine, turns out one of the battery cables was loose. It has started fine probably 3 or 4 times today since then, so hopefully that was the only problem.
Old January 3rd, 2009, 5:54 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

good deal,I'd bet that fixed it, it would probably be a good idea to check the connection to the starter as well.
Old January 3rd, 2009, 8:23 PM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts

Mr. Wizard says that a loose connection is like having a resistor in series w/ the accessories and starter. With small amounts of current, the voltage drop across the resistance is low enuf that the lites w/ work or the radio. But when you try to pass several hundred amps to the starter, the voltage drop across the loose connection would be large enuf that there's not enuf volts to turn the starter. Therefore a tite connection is a good connection especially if it's in a high current circuit.

One way you can tell if this is the problem is to see if your dome lites go out as soon as you turn the key to the start position.
Old December 30th, 2012, 10:23 AM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi my 97 Tahoe will not crank over.. my starter was tested and is good as well as my battery.. but truck will not crank. I even checked the relay and no luck