Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old July 22nd, 2015, 1:33 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering and Suspension
Print Wikipost

97 Suburban with steering drifting problem

Search this Thread

Old November 25th, 2006, 11:37 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 Suburban with steering drifting problem

Any Ideas? It seems like there is a drifting problem at high speeds. The steering is not tight and responsive. The truck seems to want to drift over into the next lane if your not careful. Any known issues or thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks, Jon
Old November 25th, 2006, 3:47 PM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: 97 Suburban with steering drifting problem

Depending on the miles on the truck & condition the of your tires, could be worn front end parts, or something as simple as tire pressure. Need more details plez.
Old November 25th, 2006, 9:13 PM
CF Active Member

i've just fixed the same type of problem on my 'burb. driving down the highway, if u let go of the steering wheel, the truck would change lanes in about 150 feet. had to replace the steering box, the pressure equalizer valve inside was shot.
Old November 26th, 2006, 12:48 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks man ... the steering box was what I was expecting to hear. Have a friend with a 99 Suburban who had the same problem but talked about a sensor on the steering box which I don't see on the 97. I will go for replacing the box and see what happens ... Thanks again
Old November 27th, 2006, 3:34 PM
CF Junior Member

The EVO sensor, at the bottom of the steering column, inside of the cab, may be bad. It costs about $60 from the Chevy dealer and took me a 1/2 hour to replace the one on my 98 Suburban. Might be worth a shot. Lots cheaper and easier than the steering box.
Old November 29th, 2006, 7:14 PM
CF Senior Member

Check your tie rods. Jack up the front end with both wheels off the ground and wiggle the wheels back and forth. Any play indicates serious issues with tie rods, ball joints or steering box. If you have someone wiggle it you can usually see where it's coming from.
Old November 30th, 2006, 11:42 PM
CF Junior Member

Rickertj:
I have a 1999 with 186,000 . I was having the same problem so I decided to rebuild the font end. I replace the Pitment arm, idler arm, tie rod ends, all the bushings and upper and lower ball joints. Believe me they all needed to be replaced ! ***THEN ! **** It was still having the problem !!! It ended up being the EVO sensor. So I agree with lost_in_alabama that you should have it checked or replace it. (This is a comon problem)
Good Luck, Dondobe
Old December 2nd, 2006, 7:37 PM
lgx
CF Beginner

I was wondering would it only drift...no shaking? I have a 99 Sub 2500 4WD 454; when you push the breaks it shakes alot. Its not the rotors because they have already been rotated...and i dont feel the brake pedal shaking. So I am wondering could this be the same problem. The pitman arm has been changed as well...and the tires have been balanced twice already...and has had an alignment already. At speeds 70 or higher it will shake aswell but i think that is due the other shaking...making the tires unbalanced. any help is greatly appreciated...