Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

98 Tahoe rear carpet wet rust spots underneath

Search this Thread

Old March 27th, 2014, 8:57 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Tahoe rear carpet wet rust spots underneath

I just bought a 98 Tahoe a few days ago. I took it through the car wash and noticed water dripping down around the doors. I got home and felt the back carpet. The whole carpet is wet. Not soaked like a sponge just wet. I removed a good portion of it and noticed rust spots underneath and paint bubbling where there is more rust. I ordered new rear seals for the doors and frame. I have the barn door style doors. Im guessing the previous owner did not know or did not care for it to get this bad. The car does not smell and I did not notice any mold.

My plan is to remove the carpet. Remove the rust spots. Paint over it to prevent further damage. Let the carpet dry out or get new carpet. I removed the inside side panels and it was dry in there. It was raining all day yesterday so I would of noticed water behind the side panels. I also took a hose and let water run over the top where the 3rd brake light is. I heard the water running down and going onto the ground. I did not notice any water coming into the car.

I do know water is coming in from the doors since I saw it when I was in the car wash. The whole back carpet felt wet and it felt equal. It did not feel like one part was soaked and the other part was damp. It was all equally wet. So if I do have just one water leak I would think part of the carpet closest to the doors would be soaking wet the rest of the carpet would be damp? Besides the rear doors where else should I look for water coming in? I did remove the cargo tie downs and when I reinstalled I put some rtv sealant on the threads. All the cargo tie downs had rust on them.

I just want to get rid of the rust and stop the leak to prevent further damage.
Old March 27th, 2014, 12:47 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you're headed in the right direction.
But frequently, dry seals can have gaps that allow water to enter. You might damp rag clean any others, and coat them with a light Silicone Grease. That would allow them to settle into the frame better. Often times, seals which have been out of place for long, don't just snap back with a clean/lube. Use a Dollar Bill to check the tension of the seals around the doors. That'll give you an indicator as to what area to focus on.
Checking wet carpet is a difficult way to focus on a leak. Dry it totally out with a Fan, and lay some newspaper down on it, where you can identify the area of leak better.