Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

98 Tahoe slow to accelerate. Please help

Search this Thread

Old November 25th, 2012, 7:37 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Tahoe slow to accelerate. Please help

1998 Chev Tahoe 150,000miles
Check engine light isn't on solid now, but was on and off again for months . A new symptom is my engine is "cutting" out during hard acceleration, but if I gently accelerate, "cutting" out is not as pronounced. . And the final symptom... I have a new fuel filter
Ideas???

I've heard of similar problems on Chevy trucks involving a broken main ground cable.
Where is the ground cable? I thought it grounded the battery? Why would that cause a lack in acceleration? Is it expensive to fix? How do you fix it?
All thoughts are welcome. Thank you
Old November 26th, 2012, 4:45 AM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Poor acceleration is often a symptom of engine hesitation. Engine hesitation has many possible causes, ranging from a simple dirty air filter to a serious transmission problem. If your car's air filter is plugged, it prevents the proper amount of air getting to the engine, which could cause engine hesitation. The air filter is simple to check, since it's usually under the hood. Similarly, a clogged fuel filter doesn't allow adequate fuel pressure into your car's fuel injection system. Blowing air through the fuel filter will tell you if the filter is clogged. Your engine may be fine but if the power isn't effectively getting to your wheels, you may have a transmission problem. Such a problem could cause acceleration issues when the transmission slips, because it causes the car to lose the power the engine just generated, while the transmission would normally transfer the power to the rest of the car.
Old November 26th, 2012, 5:27 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you had the codes pulled? Autozone will do it for free