Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

99 suburban 1500 LT cabin air filter

Old June 22nd, 2013, 7:33 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 suburban 1500 LT cabin air filter

I have searched the forum and the web and I have still not found an answer to my question. Does the 99 suburban have a cabin air filter ? I have seen the youtube videos for changing the cabin air filter but my under dash unit does not look like the ones in the videos. I have seen post that say it doesnt have one and then others that say it should. Is there anyone who can give me an answer ? Please lol.
Old June 22nd, 2013, 8:42 PM
CF Beginner

Nope.

I learned the hardway...

Take a look a the 2 JPGs... they are screen shots from my copy of the 1997-2010 GM Service Manual DVD. I thought it stopped at 2000, so my bad for not checking in time. That's my other DVD that covers older cars, duh.

The first one is 1999SuburbanAirbox. Please note the red circle. That is where the filter SHOULD be, but isn't.

Please note the 2nd picture, 1999SilveradoAirbox. That shows the NEW style HVAC airbox. Be very aware: that picture is a reverse image, essentially. We are seeing it from the FIREWALL view. When installed, the fan blower is directly above the passengers right foot. Not also, that on the Suburban airbox, the fan motor is vertical, whereas on the Silverado, it's horizontal. The red box is where the filter is, near enough.

What I do know: 1999 Silverado 2WD were, for sure, equipped with a cabin filter. Everything else is suspect.

The same DVD I took this from does not show instructions for replacing a cabin filter in the 1999 Suburban, but does for the Silverado.

What I do not know is if this airbox got retrofitted as the year progressed, but I haven't seen any indications of such a change. I would expect a statement on the parts like "starting with Jan 99" or "after VIN XXX". And I haven't seen jack.

Finally, Alldata indicates that the 1999 Silverado does not have a cabin filter.

Let the debate begin.
Attached Thumbnails 99 suburban 1500 LT cabin air filter-1999suburbanairbox.jpg   99 suburban 1500 LT cabin air filter-1999silveradoairbox.jpg  
Old June 22nd, 2013, 11:31 PM
CF Beginner

Hmmmmm, so I am still searching I guess. Lol. I have two Suburbans one is a 94 and the other is a 99 both have the same airbox. I am going to assume that the 99 does not have a cabin air filter, as I understand the 94 does not have one.
Old June 22nd, 2013, 11:57 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by phinattic
Hmmmmm, so I am still searching I guess. Lol. I have two Suburbans one is a 94 and the other is a 99 both have the same airbox. I am going to assume that the 99 does not have a cabin air filter, as I understand the 94 does not have one.
To be blunt, phrases like "assume" and "I think" have been replaced with "no, there isn't one."

Unless someone can show me a photo(s) of a 1999 Suburban with the Silverado airbox...
Old June 26th, 2013, 11:05 AM
CF Beginner

Default Cabin filter for 99 Suburban

i'm in the filter business and to my knowledge the cabin filter was included only from the 2000 models and after. If it's any help you can see a list of models at:
Colorfil - Shopping - Auto - US-CAN - Cabin Filters - Chevrolet Another thing you could do would be to check if there are any retrofit options available.
Old June 27th, 2013, 6:13 PM
CF Beginner

I don't see how one could be fitted, considering the duct work is entirely different.

My problem is that a company as good as WIX has this all wrong.
Old April 15th, 2020, 11:35 PM
CF Beginner

Default So by I have a 99 tahoe, and definitely have cabin air filter

Originally Posted by corvetteguru
nope.

I learned the hardway...

Take a look a the 2 jpgs... They are screen shots from my copy of the 1997-2010 gm service manual dvd. I thought it stopped at 2000, so my bad for not checking in time. That's my other dvd that covers older cars, duh.

The first one is 1999suburbanairbox. Please note the red circle. That is where the filter should be, but isn't.

Please note the 2nd picture, 1999silveradoairbox. That shows the new style hvac airbox. Be very aware: That picture is a reverse image, essentially. We are seeing it from the firewall view. When installed, the fan blower is directly above the passengers right foot. Not also, that on the suburban airbox, the fan motor is vertical, whereas on the silverado, it's horizontal. The red box is where the filter is, near enough.

What i do know: 1999 silverado 2wd were, for sure, equipped with a cabin filter. Everything else is suspect.

The same dvd i took this from does not show instructions for replacing a cabin filter in the 1999 suburban, but does for the silverado.

What i do not know is if this airbox got retrofitted as the year progressed, but i haven't seen any indications of such a change. I would expect a statement on the parts like "starting with jan 99" or "after vin xxx". And i haven't seen jack.

Finally, alldata indicates that the 1999 silverado does not have a cabin filter.

Let the debate begin.
​​​​​​