Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

'99 Suburban 2500 Barn Doors locking

Search this Thread

Old August 12th, 2009, 9:57 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '99 Suburban 2500 Barn Doors locking

Just bought a '99 Suburban 2500 for trips to the Home Depot as we're redoing our kitchen. 113k miles and passed inspection here in NY without a hitch. Runs great. Only issue is that there is no remote key entry, just the keys. All four doors have power locks, so locking them isn't a problem. It's the barn doors in the rear that I can't figure out. The key fits in, but can't be turned, and actuating door locks from the driver's seat only locks the four doors, not the rear.

Does anyone know whether the barn doors have a power locking feature? I'm trying to narrow down the problem. If it does, then the electric locking on them is probably broken. If not, it must use a different key to open them? I'm drawing blanks here guys. Thanks for whatever help you can offer.

-Gordon
Old August 12th, 2009, 8:43 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Welcome to the forum. Someone should be able to help. You might check w/ a dealer to see if that year used a second key for the rear. Does your ignition key unlock the psgr doors? If not, then probably need a second key.
Old August 12th, 2009, 10:18 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It sounds like the door lock actuator is jammed and that is why you can not turn the key. Remove the panel on the door with the lock, it has a few Phillips screws. You will see a black kind of a cylinder thing with a white hook type thing at the end. Disconnect the metal rod from the hook and see if you can turn the key in the lock.
Old August 13th, 2009, 9:42 AM
CF Junior Member

My 98 with barn doors are locked by the front door lock button, also has a button on the rear pillar on right side to unlock/lock front doors from rear. I think something is "froze" up in your door lock mechanism.
Old December 6th, 2019, 9:38 PM
CF Beginner

My Tahoe has done the same thing since I bought it a few years ago and I haven’t been able to figure it out either did you ever get it figured out??? I’m just curious mostly because it’s had me puzzled since day one It’s not that I need it to work that bad or anything since I live in a rural area in Montana and keep it garaged when I’m not driving it but if I go into town or something it just would be nice to have peace of mind knowing it’s locked and to figure out the mystery lol!!! Thank you!!!
Old December 8th, 2019, 12:52 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For what it's worth: I bought a 2001 Yukon XL from down south. I went through everything, fixing and repairing what didn't work, mostly piddly stuff. The one thing I couldn't figure out was the locks on the barn doors; I only could lock them by the key. They would not work on the driver or passenger door switch, nor the fob. I replaced actuatorschecked wiring, switches and everything else I could think of; still no luck.

About 6 months later, the Mrs. drove into the yard at night. I noticed one of the number plate lights was not working. I replaced the bulb. I locked the door with the fob. I noticed the plate lights flashed, which has never happened, and the barn doors locked. They have worked everytime since.

I have no explanation other than when I replaced the bulb everything worked.

Tom

I would suggest you start your own posting as this one is 10 years old.