Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

99 suburban A/C Issue/ s

Search this Thread

Old July 13th, 2007, 8:33 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 suburban A/C Issue/ s

Alright this beast has front and rear A/C the rear blows a little cold but the front is only slightly cold. I've replaced the Orifice tube and it seemed to get a little better as far as temperature goes. I flushed the system with A/C system flush. I can only get about 1.5 12oz. cans of 134a into the system before it reads full charge. I've also removed the front evaporator and cleaned out the fins for better flow through the ducts. The outside temp was 98*F the duct temp was around 75*front and 68* rear. what would cause the front not to cool the same as the rear. I've attatched a diagram of the system, maybe someone can figure it out better than me......Thanks guys

http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e7...t=aclayout.jpg
Old July 19th, 2007, 12:11 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: 99 suburban A/C Issue/ s

I am SO not an AC guy. BUT. I just had my systemserviced. I had put in 4 12 ounce cans of 134. They said i was STILL 1 pound light. The basic gauges you buy at auto zone and checker and what not SUCK. if you read the fine print it says pressure readings are accurate in 75 to 85 degree air ONLY. my 97 burb blows colder in the back as well maybe 5 degrees colder than the front. not sure why. BUT putting in 1 and 1 half cans of 134 seems a bit low. Stupid question, but was the can upright or upside down?? I THINK that also makes a difference. I finnaly gave up and just payed 100 bucks to have it reclaimed and refilled with dye as well to check for leaks. its 115 here and it blows in the 60's which is tolerable.
Old July 19th, 2007, 8:20 AM
CF Beginner

The can was right side up, I still haven't narrowed it down yet, but I think it might be the dryer, it's only 30 bucks so I'll replace it and go from there...
Old July 19th, 2007, 1:23 PM
CF Beginner

aircrewman: I looked at your diagram, and I think from the rest of your album, you are so with it.
So please excuse me here, but: Shouldn't there be an Orifice tube inline on the feed to each evaporator? Or could it be the Orifice tube is upstream from the splitter, in the line from the condenser? Otherwise the high pressure goes directly into the rear evaporator. Understand please, I haven't done this stuff very much, except back in the 60's and 70's. Respectfully, carrotman
Old July 20th, 2007, 6:44 AM
CF Beginner

Yes there is something like an orifice tube I believe it's called a txv valve. and it's in the back if I'm not mistaken.