Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

99 Suburban Coolant leaks

Search this Thread

Old April 27th, 2013, 7:13 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Follow up.
Got my 99 back from my mechanic. He ran multiple tests to rule out the head gasket and put their experience together and determined it was only the intake gasket. He said they do 2 of these a week at their SUV shop. Once it was torn down they checked it the old hard gasket with the orange rubber grommet was shot, it was very visible with leaks. He said everything else was pristine. I only have 120k miles on it.

New Felpro gasket kit, coolant flush and reload with Dexcool. He sticks with the factory recommendation on coolant, we discussed a change over from what I have read in the forum, but he said even the residual Dex with the green stuff is not compatiable and it will coagulate in the cooling system and block passages and not worth future issues. Oil change and filter and all the labor and tests. $565.

Very happy with the results and running great. Now to change out the rr window motor. Thank you again for the advice in this forum.....

Last edited by thesoccerphantom; April 27th, 2013 at 7:16 AM. Reason: add dexcool comments