Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

99 Suburban rough idle

Search this Thread

Old February 7th, 2013, 10:39 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Suburban rough idle

I rebuilt my motor using a 93 rebuilt block and my 99 heads because I had a rod knocking in my 99 block.

I adjusted the valves while it was running by loosing the rocker arm until it ticked, tightened it up till it quit and gave it a 1/4 turn more. Then it was missfiring so I adjusted the valves the way the dealer told me by getting the motor at TDC and tightening and tightening a random order of intake and exhaust rockers until I could not spin the push rod and give in a 1/4 turn more.

It is not misfiring but it is idleing rough. It idles at 600-700. It stays running but is shaky at idle. When Im driving it, it is just fine.

I also have a screw hole on my distributor broken so the cap is on but not as well as it should be. The screw stil grabs but should be changed. That will be changed in a few weeks. It was like this before the rebuild but never affected it then.

Also I have a code read and it says catylac efficency low bank 2.
Old February 8th, 2013, 12:11 AM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

The first way you described is correct, the second way, not so much. You can do it that way w/ the engine off, just not in random order. You have to adjust the valves w/ each piston @ TDC on the firing stroke so that the lifter is on the base circle of the cam lobe.

With the engine running method, you have to do each one slowly to allow the lifter to collapse until it's centered. If you do it too fast, the each will run rough for a few seconds until the lifter has adjusted and allows the valve to fully close again.
Old February 8th, 2013, 8:00 AM
CF Beginner

Thank you. I noticed this morning that idles a lot better when it is cold. Once it warmed up, it was back to being rough
Old February 8th, 2013, 10:06 AM
CF Senior Member

I upgraded my distributor to this one works great and 5 year warrenty

GM Chevy Vortec V8 5 7 5 0L 350CI Distributor 6672 BK | eBay
Old February 8th, 2013, 2:08 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Relace the cap at least or upgrade the thing.
Timing a GM 5.0,5.7 and 4.3 (Vortec) - Truck Mod Central
Old February 8th, 2013, 6:49 PM
CF Beginner

Shamrock, that is awfully cheap for a distributor. The junk yard wants 65 and 140 from Autozone. This worked fine for you? If so that is an awesome find. Im am waiting another week to get paid and I will be replacing it.

I just wasnt sure if maybe there was a different issue someone might be able to think of. Like I said the distributor never was a problem before the rebuild or since the rebuild (1 1/2 months). It started the rough idle when the valves were adjusted the way the dealers told me.
Old February 8th, 2013, 6:55 PM
CF Beginner

Kevin the cap is less than 2 months old. It is the distributor that has the broken screw hole.
Old February 8th, 2013, 7:33 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by doyouwannaride
Thank you. I noticed this morning that idles a lot better when it is cold. Once it warmed up, it was back to being rough
I think when it's cold, it is running in an open-loop mode, ie, the ECM is not looking at exhaust parameters to meter fuel and since it's cold, it'll run towards the rich side. A rich mixture will cover up a lot of other problems. When it warms up, it goes into closed-loop and leans out the mixture and something doesn't like that, most likely something in the ignition system but could be a vacuum leak.

Last edited by 73shark; February 9th, 2013 at 5:52 PM. Reason: Added "not"
Old February 9th, 2013, 8:09 AM
CF Senior Member

It's working great,i started a thread on another forum and got some positive feed back so i got one because my screw holes were cracked and the gear had some wear

I would get the valves adjust right and the cam retard set and see how it runs
Old February 9th, 2013, 5:55 PM
Administrator

Thanks for the feedback. Keep us informed on how it works out.