Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

99 suburban wont start

Search this Thread

Old June 14th, 2009 | 7:49 PM
CF Beginner

Default 99 suburban wont start

I just rplacedthe fuel pump and Fuel filter in my 99 5.7L GMC Suburban 1500 on Friday (6-12-09) and it started right up and ran perfect until today,about 100 miles later. I went to start it about 3 hours after returning from church and it immediatly started for about a second and then died. Now it just continues to crank over strong without an inkling of wanting to fire up. I can hear the pump run when I turn on the key and it is still nice and quiet (compared to the one that croaked on me last week) as it was when I first installed it. I also depressed the fuel pressure relief valve at the intake manifold and got a strong spurt of gas. No fuses are blown. Being that it has run fine since I installed the pump,and I can hear the pump cut on, and I seem to have pressure at the intake, I have a feeling this is just another issue unrelated to my fuel pump replacement. I don't have a code reader but no lights have ever come on to my knowlege. I havn't checked to see if I have spark at my plugs yet but that is what I am checking after writing this...any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old June 14th, 2009 | 9:26 PM
CF Beginner

Why cant I get a new user email confirnmation sent to me...I give up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old June 15th, 2009 | 6:32 AM
CF Beginner

Ok...duh, it was out of gas. Apparently it goes from 16mpg to 9 mpg when the A/C is used constantly...bummer. I was using the trip odometer to measure my gas since I wasn't for sure if the guage was yet working with the new pump assembly. It has never worked before as I am sure many of you suburban owners know.
Old June 15th, 2009 | 6:58 AM
CF Active Member

" I also depressed the fuel pressure relief valve at the intake manifold and got a strong spurt of gas."

"Ok...duh, it was out of gas"

Huh???