Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

99 Tahoe, Hard to get out of park

Search this Thread

Old February 12th, 2008, 7:09 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Tahoe, Hard to get out of park

Im new here. I am going to try my best to keep it short and explain my problem.

I recently got myself a 99 Tahoe. Whenever I want to shift out of park, I would have to push the brake really hard and then wriggle the shift arm until something lets me shift, it would take about 3 seconds or so. Is there an easy fix for this?

I have checked the switch above the pedal and I do hear it click everytime I pressed the pedal, It feels like there is another interlock or something that I have to wait until it lets me. (and no the transmission is not holding the shift in place, it seems to be electrical related or maybe cable but it looks good shape). Let me know, Many Thanks
Old February 12th, 2008, 8:24 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 99 Tahoe, Hard to get out of park

Difficultyshifting out of park can mean that the pawl return spring is weak or broken. The park pawl components are inside the transmission. To replace the spring, you have to drop the transmission oil pan and filter, but you can do it without removing the transmission from the vehicle.
Old February 12th, 2008, 8:35 AM
CF Beginner

Wow, I was hoping that it would not be inside the transmission, I mean I can do this job myself with good instructions. Is there any alternative ways to check before I confirm this is the problem. How can I bypass the interlock switch on the brake pedal and see if I can shift out of park with zero effort. If I still have trouble getting out of park without pressing the brake, then I will look into tackling this replacement.
Old February 12th, 2008, 9:01 AM
CF Beginner

Another thing I want to mention, I have been thinking alot.

To clarify. I do not have any effort changing the gears or anything like that on the transmission. I only have to wriggle the the shift column and push the brake pedal very very hard to allow some electronic part to unlock so I can shift. I have checked the pedal switch and can hear it click even when i just press it (the brake light comes on normally as it should) this is why I am asking if there was another interlock or anything you know of?
Old February 12th, 2008, 2:13 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

One thing to try is to set your parking brake & release foot brake before putting it in Park. This will minimize the force on the parking pawl.
Old February 20th, 2008, 6:27 AM
CF Beginner

Ok heres what I found. The shift lock mechanism is what is giving me trouble getting out of park.

I took the lower panel off and found the mechanism, I disconnected the rod to the shift arm. Now I am able to shift without problems.

By doing that, I can shift out of park without applying brakes but... the shift arm is locked when the key is off so its all good. Not worth replacing it, I just tied up the rod out of the way. $0 fix [/align][/align]