Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

99 tahoe leak

Search this Thread

Old October 26th, 2011, 11:27 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 tahoe leak

I just bought my 99 Tahoe 2dr, government addition which means i got all the paperwork and everything that was ever done to it. It runs great and has 131k miles on it. I decided to start doing a tune up. Spark Plugs, Wires, Oil, Belts. Then after a week of driving i noticed a small puddle under my car and a sequel coming from under the hood. It was orange colored and thought that i should change the Water Pump(Some dumb *** put reg coolant in it when the badge spec says use DEXCOOL) so i changed the coolant and everything was going great. After a week i noticed the res tank going a little dry so i filled it up and had it pressure tested and the tech said everything was all good. So i filled it all up and went on my way. Yesterday i pulled it out of my garage and noticed another small puddle of Dexcool and now im wondering if any one has had this same problem. I have had no lose of power or anything. Temp stays under 210 every time. No problems no hesitation nothing just this puddle
Old October 26th, 2011, 8:10 PM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts

Need to determine where it's coming from. Then you can proceed to a fix. I'd try a bottle of Bar's stop leak first.
Old October 26th, 2011, 8:48 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do not use Bars leak. It causes expensive problems in long term use
Old October 26th, 2011, 8:51 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you ever see the water pump leaking or did you assume it was the pump? Intake gaskets are very common on the 5.7 and could leak on to the belt
Old October 27th, 2011, 10:40 AM
CF Beginner

Yes i will never use any additives in my systems they do to much harm, but as for the water pump i did find that the leak was coming from it because the exhaust it making a whooping sound like a whoop......whoop only on start up stays for about 3 mins then goes away. then after inspecting things i found that the pin hole at the bottom of the water pump had been punctured and thats how i determined the water pump was bad. Only thing now is that the whooping is still there just not as loud and the leak is still coming. They are not big puddles they are just minor but enough to worry me. I fill up the resivior about every 3 days only if it needs it but lately its been doing good so i havent had to fill it up.
Old October 30th, 2011, 10:08 PM
CF Beginner

so im thinking about doing my intake manifold gasket and the valve cover gaskets to fix this problem? or should i just stick to doing the intake manifold gasket?