Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

AC/Heat Controls

Old July 12th, 2019, 2:54 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default AC/Heat Controls

2004 Tahoe has the two vertical sliding levers. They are very sensitive to getting the right temp output. What is on the backside of them that might need replacing or repaired ? Can some sort of electronic repairs be made to them ? Also can one check them with a meter ? Thanks. *BW*
Old July 12th, 2019, 9:12 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by retsub
2004 Tahoe has the two vertical sliding levers. They are very sensitive to getting the right temp output. What is on the backside of them that might need replacing or repaired ? Can some sort of electronic repairs be made to them ? Also can one check them with a meter ? Thanks. *BW*
That is a Dorman unit not ACDelco unit. Sliding levers have not been around for ages. Dorman products can be good or bad. I'd put an ACDelco unit in its place. Check out Rock Auto to see the difference.
Old July 13th, 2019, 9:31 AM
CF Junior Member

Thanks for the info but the lever type is what came on the truck when new. Does that mean the Delco will fit and plug in ok ? *BW*
Old July 14th, 2019, 8:46 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 161 Likes on 133 Posts

I believe there are like 3 types of AC available new on these; GM makes everything complicated.

One of my favorite stories from H. Ross Perot, frustrated at the plodding pace of things at GM.:
I come from an environment where, if you see a snake, you kill it. At GM, if you see a snake, the first thing you do is go hire a consultant on snakes. Then you get a committee on snakes, and then you discuss it for a couple of years. The most likely course of action is -- nothing. You figure, the snake hasn't bitten anybody yet, so you just let him crawl around on the factory floor. We need to build an environment where the first guy who sees the snake kills it.
Old July 14th, 2019, 3:59 PM
CF Junior Member

Thanks, I may have answered my own question. I looked at my build codes. Mine is a CJ3 code for manual AC. Believe a CJ2 is a automatic AC code. What'cha bet the wiring and plugs are different between the two ? I wish I could find a old one like mine to take apart to see what makes them tick, anybody have one to sell ? Don't want to take mine apart and destroy it in the process since it still works, mostly, but not correctly. *BW*
Old July 15th, 2019, 4:19 PM
CF Monarch

Thanks for the info but the lever type is what came on the truck when new. Does that mean the Delco will fit and plug in ok ? *BW*
Wiring harness will be the same standard set up. It will likely fit but not positive.Sliding levers are old and went out in the 80's, but I trust you are correct. Why Chevy did not use one unit makes no sense to me as its cheaper that way to manufacturer..
Old July 15th, 2019, 4:23 PM
CF Monarch

Thanks, I may have answered my own question. I looked at my build codes. Mine is a CJ3 code for manual AC. Believe a CJ2 is a automatic AC code. What'cha bet the wiring and plugs are different between the two ? I wish I could find a old one like mine to take apart to see what makes them tick, anybody have one to sell ? Don't want to take mine apart and destroy it in the process since it still works, mostly, but not correctly. *BW*
Might remove it and wash it out and let dry. Might be worth the trouble. Also wiring for corrosion or similar, Maybe shoot some contact cleaner in it.

Search this Thread