Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Add amp/subs to Bose system?

Search this Thread

Old January 21st, 2007, 10:07 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Add amp/subs to Bose system?

Hi All,
Have just registered but have secretly viewed for months now to get questions answered! Would appreciate any help I can get on this issue.

I have an '07 LT3 with the Bose system (no Nav, just the stock head unit) and I am somewhat disappointed with the sound quality. I feel it needs more bass and would like to add a sub or two to the existing system. I have heard horror stories from people who have tried to add an amp to these Bose systems and had very poor results. I understand PAC makes a product that is recommended for this application but I don't know much about stereo stuff and want to make sure it gets done right if I take it to a shop.
I know I can't be the first guy to add subs to his Bose system so these shops have to know the right procedure, right? Anyone have any input on what I should look for or ask about when I go to an expert? Or, worst of all, would anyone recommend avoiding adding an amp altogether?
Thank you in advance for any and all guidance.
Brian
The following users liked this post:
559jlv (June 1st, 2021)
Old January 21st, 2007, 10:11 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Add amp/subs to Bose system?

Ditto! I would like the same info for anyone that has done this. Please post pics if you can, and step by step instructions on how you made it work. Thanks.
The following users liked this post:
WOLF WOLF (January 3rd, 2021)
Old January 21st, 2007, 10:29 PM
CF Active Member

I have a kicker amp and kicker sub. No problems at all. I had a shop do the install though. Only thing is that the truck has to be on for the amp tp power up. Im not sure what they connected the power to. I posted a pic of the speaker on a thread called bose subwoofer.. Oh, I forgot to mention that I have the bose speakers but stock head unit..
Old January 21st, 2007, 10:37 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they probably connectedthe high to low convertertothe speaker wiresin the left or right kick panels...however that is not the proper place to connect the high to low converter, u need to connect it before the amp instead of in the kick panels which is after the amp or else issues can arise in the future. the amp is located underneath the center console.

ORIGINAL: P_RsTahoe

I have a kicker amp and kicker sub. No problems at all. I had a shop do the install though. Only thing is that the truck has to be on for the amp tp power up. Im not sure what they connected the power to. I posted a pic of the speaker on a thread called bose subwoofer.. Oh, I forgot to mention that I have the bose speakers but stock head unit..
Old January 21st, 2007, 10:55 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok, I have factory Navigation unit with Bose! So, lets say I want to add 2 JL 12 ran off a JL 500/1 or 1000/1. I have some stereo knowledge so it isnt completely foreign. I have installed many of my own systems. Just never anything with the factory Head Unit, and factory amp and sub already installed.

So, factory HU doesnt have Sub RCA's, so what would i need to do.

Secondly, can you tell me all devices needed to make this addition? Lastly, how to wire it up. Obviously I know the power, ground, speaker wires! Thanks and I would appreciate all help. Landon.

Old January 21st, 2007, 11:02 PM
CF Active Member

What do you mean by the high to low converter? I'm going to trace the wiring tomorrow to see exactly where its connected. Does the stock amp power all the speakers? Thanks...

[quote]ORIGINAL: xclusive

they probably connected the high to low converter to the speaker wires in the left or right kick panels...however that is not the proper place to connect the high to low converter, u need to connect it before the amp instead of in the kick panels which is after the amp or else issues can arise in the future. the amp is located underneath the center console.

Old January 22nd, 2007, 12:59 AM
CF Active Member

the high to low converter is what provides the audio signal to the amp...yes the factory amp powers all the speakers...
Old January 22nd, 2007, 10:34 AM
CF Active Member

Thanks..
Old January 22nd, 2007, 11:56 AM
CF Junior Member

All you have to do is wire the high low converter from the bose amp speaker wires. That will send the signal to your amp that you are going to install. It will tell it when to turn off and when to turn on. The HLC (high low converter) has a set of RCA jacks on on plug that in to your amp. Run a good power source to your amp, ground it well and you would be all ready to go. You also want to get a amp with a external bass control. or put an eq in your system. Otherwise when you turn up the bass for the mids it will mess with the bass on the subs. One other thing the Bose amp needs to stay intact and not be cut out of the loop. You need it to run all the other speakers and to run the whole system.
I hope this helps a little.
Old January 22nd, 2007, 12:20 PM
CF Active Member

It did, Thanks.. Im waiting for it to stop raining to go outside and mess with it.. OK I went outside and the converter is connected under the console. Im having trouble taking it apart so I cant really see where the stock amp is. However the skinny remote cable is connected to a red cable under the steering wheel. Thats whats telling the amp to come on and off. I dont really want to splice alot of wires trying to find the right one. Do you know which cable I should change it to? Thanks..

Quick Reply: Add amp/subs to Bose system?