Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Add amp/subs to Bose system?

Search this Thread

Old January 22nd, 2007, 9:05 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Add amp/subs to Bose system?

ORIGINAL: dac0068

All you have to do is wire the high low converter from the bose amp speaker wires. That will send the signal to your amp that you are going to install. It will tell it when to turn off and when to turn on. The HLC (high low converter) has a set of RCA jacks on on plug that in to your amp. Run a good power source to your amp, ground it well and you would be all ready to go. You also want to get a amp with a external bass control. or put an eq in your system. Otherwise when you turn up the bass for the mids it will mess with the bass on the subs. One other thing the Bose amp needs to stay intact and not be cut out of the loop. You need it to run all the other speakers and to run the whole system.
I hope this helps a little.
Thanks for the info! Can someone direct me to a good high/low converter? Not sure exactly what I am looking for and what isa good one! Thanks.
Old January 22nd, 2007, 11:36 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you guys for the help.
What I've gathered is that it IS possible to do correctly and not distort the other speakers. Also, that the right stereo shop would just need to know to go under the center console to get the sub wires there for the high/low converter and NOT the rear speaker wires. Sound about right?
Old January 23rd, 2007, 2:19 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yup u got it...

ORIGINAL: 07LT3BEE

Thank you guys for the help.
What I've gathered is that it IS possible to do correctly and not distort the other speakers. Also, that the right stereo shop would just need to know to go under the center console to get the sub wires there for the high/low converter and NOT the rear speaker wires. Sound about right?
Old January 23rd, 2007, 2:21 AM
CF Active Member

metra makes a good one under their tsunami line...not sure of the model # though.

[/quote]

Thanks for the info! Can someone direct me to a good high/low converter? Not sure exactly what I am looking for and what isa good one! Thanks.
[/quote]
Old January 24th, 2007, 1:05 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Found this on ebay. here is a pic of the factory bose system if anyone wants to see it!

http://cgi.ebay.com/2007-Tahoe-Escal...QQcmdZViewItem
Old January 28th, 2007, 9:57 PM
CF Junior Member

You know I don't know if my stereo shop bypassed the subwoofer and amp to install the rest of my system. I can't tell. I will need to go back and get some more stuff done, and ask...but haven't had the chance.
Old January 3rd, 2021, 1:33 AM
CF Beginner

Default O4 Sierra gmc with a Bose system the speakers cut in and out once in awhile

Originally Posted by biglg
Ditto! I would like the same info for anyone that has done this. Please post pics if you can, and step by step instructions on how you made it work. Thanks.
speakers cut in and out on the speakers once in awhile I was told it’s the speakers not the radio that when one shorts out they all short out on the Bose system. Also I want to add a system but I should prolly replace the door speakers first to correct the cutting in and out right? It’s weird it’s either on when I turn the truck on or there off... it’s not like they cut in and out intermediatley it’s either there on or there off. I’ll turn the truck off and restart it sometimes and it works
Old January 3rd, 2021, 1:37 AM
CF Beginner

Default 04 Sierra z71 with Bose speakers

Originally Posted by biglg
Ok, I have factory Navigation unit with Bose! So, lets say I want to add 2 JL 12 ran off a JL 500/1 or 1000/1. I have some stereo knowledge so it isnt completely foreign. I have installed many of my own systems. Just never anything with the factory Head Unit, and factory amp and sub already installed.

So, factory HU doesnt have Sub RCA's, so what would i need to do.

Secondly, can you tell me all devices needed to make this addition? Lastly, how to wire it up. Obviously I know the power, ground, speaker wires! Thanks and I would appreciate all help. Landon.
the Bose speakers are loud and clear but there’s no bass to them at all. I don’t if the subwoofer under the cup holder is out or what but I also have a problem of sometimes the speakers work and sometimes they don’t. I had a radio place tell me it’s not the radio it’s the speakers that when one goes out they all go out? So buying a new radio wouldn’t resolve the issue I should replace the door speakers? Also if I wanted to add a amp and subwoofer could I just splice into the current amp system for the Bose speakers? Then I still gotta run a power cord to the battery tho right?
Old January 3rd, 2021, 8:02 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 163 Likes on 152 Posts

Factory speakers are junk. Same door speakers are used in the base radio as well as the Bose. Had to change out rear door speakers in my '11 Tahoe w/Bose.
Those speakers were the same ones that were in my '09 Malibu LS also that died on me by the way.
A set of $40 aftermarket speakers will sound fantastic compared to the factory ones. Adapters will be needed to mount aftermarket speakers unless you fab up something yourself like I did.
Old July 30th, 2021, 8:32 AM
CF Beginner

Default Same problem here

Originally Posted by WOLF WOLF
speakers cut in and out on the speakers once in awhile I was told it’s the speakers not the radio that when one shorts out they all short out on the Bose system. Also I want to add a system but I should prolly replace the door speakers first to correct the cutting in and out right? It’s weird it’s either on when I turn the truck on or there off... it’s not like they cut in and out intermediatley it’s either there on or there off. I’ll turn the truck off and restart it sometimes and it works
So I have the same problem it seems. Also a factory Bose system. I have an Audiocontrol DQ-61 Line Out Converter, it was working for a while, then I started having problems. Either no sound at all, sound only from the right channels or sound on but not full range. I then installed a Load Generating Device into all six channels, that worked for about a week....now the same problem is back!
Did you manage to figure out your issue?

Cheers

Quick Reply: Add amp/subs to Bose system?