Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Aftermarket DVD headrest players

Search this Thread

Old June 11th, 2010, 9:39 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket DVD headrest players

I know this issue has been beaten to death on here, but most everything I found on the searches either referenced the DVD players that come with the install harness for the factory system or the posts are old and the associated photos are no longer there...

So, I have a 2007 Yukon and bought these:
http://www.onfair.com/Car-Audio-Vide...46731-2-1.html (the 9 inch flip up screen turned out to be overkill for the inside of our trucks, but oh well)
It doesn't show it in the pictures, but they come with a simple power connection (one for each monitor) that is simply an inline filter and fuse with your standard red & black wire coming from there. I am fairly handy with most of your indoor wiring, but I haven't ever done much in the car, so I'm a little bit at a loss. I'd like to just see if I could splice them into the rear console's cigarette plug, but something tells me that is too easy. Everything I have read on here seems to indicate that I need to wire them into the fuse box?

Anyway, I just need some big time help here as I'm hoping to try to get them wired up over my lunch break for a trip we are taking this weekend. Photos and diagrams are helpful! I have a Radioshack around the corner that I can run to for all my needed parts (hopefully not a lot needed). I'm more concerned about getting them wired and running today than I am about hiding the wires. I will do that later in the week.
Old June 11th, 2010, 10:10 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Look at the fuse amperage for the lighter (in factory fuse box) if it is less than the amount of the fuse that came with the monitor you can not use that circuit. If it is equal to or more the go right ahead.
Old June 12th, 2010, 9:05 AM
dh1
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I haven't done this, but a bit of advice

I would only splice into an accessory power line. The lighters in my 2002 Suburban are powered all the time, and this could lead to you draining your battery if your LCDs are left on inadvertently. Food for thought.

Regarding the fuse size, check the power draw on your units. Provided your current draw doesn't exceed the fuse for the cig lighter, you could wire it in that way. Just be aware of continuous power supply or not. Your newer model might be different than my 2002.
Old June 13th, 2010, 10:28 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the advice. I was out of pocket all weekend and I ended up getting this pretty nifty fuse tap from the local speaker store. It has a place for two fuses, you put them in and plug it into the fuse location of your choice. It worked much better than any splicing or other tapping. I have it plugged into the rear aux power port at the moment, but I'm going to plug it into something that is only on when the car is on. That was just where I ended up putting as it was easy to test when I was having some issues early on.
Old December 7th, 2010, 4:38 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2008 Impala Aftermarket DVD Headrest Install

Same wiring problem knowledge as everyone else. Could I tap into
something under the drivers seat? How about the electric seats power source. Only use that occasionally. Is the power to them on all the time or only when the key is on? I'll check, but I bet the power is on to those all the time. Wire doesn't appear long enough to
reach a fuse box, is there one under the dash somewhere? What would you connect to?
Old December 8th, 2010, 9:47 AM
CF Beginner

David, I ended up splicing a longer wire into the one provided by the DVD player. I then ran it under the seat, down a seam in the door, and used a tap to put it into the fuse box by the door (there is probably 1/8 of in inch wire visible if you look really hard). The only problem I have with that fuse box, is that everything seems to be on all the time. It has only been a big issue once when I forgot to turn off the DVD player and it ran down my battery.