Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

aftermarket XM install?

Search this Thread

Old January 21st, 2012, 8:44 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aftermarket XM install?

Go figure, "XM" is too short to be searched. Any of the stereo folks want to help out?

Our new '05 Suburban has the Bose system with XM. I want to use my own portable XM receiver and its car kit, versus using the receiver built into the stock system. Ideally, I'd also love to use the existing vehicle antenna instead of wiring up the mini antenna from the car kit, and install everything permanently to get rid of hanging wires.

I'm sure people are wondering why I wouldn't just use the radio in the car. Truthfully, I bought this receiver because 1)I liked its portability; and 2)it also has SD storage...so it would feel like a waste not to use it as I have been for the last year. Plus, I really have no reason to swing for two radio subscriptions.

I know better than to dive in, as this stereo's obviously got a lot more to it than the last car I installed a permanent kit on ('02 Neon w/aftermarket deck and FM modulator - that thing was a breeze). Is it possible to do this, though? Would I need to buy a different tuner or would the current one work? Is this something better left to a professional? We don't have a lot of places here that do stereo installation work, but if I had to drive an hour to Wichita I'd do it, provided it wouldn't cost me an arm and a leg.
Old January 22nd, 2012, 11:22 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had good luck with XMFanStore.com - Authorized XM Satellite Radio Dealer - Toll-Free 877-4-XMRADIO .

They have online chat and should be able to fix you right up!
Old January 22nd, 2012, 12:30 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks, they unfortunately were no help. They say it's impossible to use an aftermarket receiver with the factory head unit and that I'm stuck using the FM frequency option (which, frankly, is a disappointment because the audio quality is so poor). Almost makes me miss driving our '01 burb on a daily basis - that one at least had/has a cassette adapter option.

I guess my next option is to look into adding an aux input? I'd still be left with the power cable and the antenna, though...so I'd only have solved part of my problem.
Old January 22nd, 2012, 12:58 PM
CF Beginner

Maybe this would work? If I'm reading it right, I'd be removing the stock XM tuner and using that port on the factory head unit for this adapter? Heck, if this would work I'd be happy - I'd be able to leave my XM receiver on one dedicated input, and save the second one for Pandora on my phone or something.

DF-GM Dual Auxiliary Audio Input for select 2003-08 GM :: Auxiliary Input Adapters :: Discount Car Stereo

That would leave me with power and antenna - I think I've read that the shark fin antenna could be used with slight modifications? Still haven't found a definitive answer on that one, though. And as for power, is there a good place that I could splice in the power line from the XM's car kit?

ETA: If this belongs in another subforum, I apologize and a mod is welcome to move it over. I wasn't sure if I should post in the model-specific forum or not.

Last edited by taelir; January 22nd, 2012 at 1:05 PM.
Old January 22nd, 2012, 4:16 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This may be the adapter cable you're looking for:

Vehicle Factory Single Lead Antenna to XM/Sirius Adapter - Sirius XM Radio Receivers, Home Kits and Car Kits, Speaker Docks, Antennas, and more at MyRadioStore