Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Air ride / airbag warranty 2015

Search this Thread

Old April 1st, 2018, 10:06 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air ride / airbag warranty 2015

Recently this winter I started to hear a loud humming noise from the driver rear side of my Suburban. I thought it was the fuel pump. I took it into my local dealership and they said it was the air compressor for my air ride suspension and it was a normal sound and not to worry.
On a recent trip i hears a loud bang. I assumed it was the airbag, then 20 minutes later the airbag on the right popped. The air compressor is now running all the time.
At our destination I took my vehicle to their Chevy dealership. The mechanic said it was obviously the airbags but could not find the defect because there was an after market GM part installed. He said that his diagnostic tool could not find the problem due to the after market GM part.
Is the air suspension/airbags/air compressor covered under warranty? I have 72000 km on the suburban.
Old April 1st, 2018, 1:49 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

by airbags you are refering to the load leveling shock absorbers?

-if its obvious the "airbags" were the problem, why not replace them? what additional dianosis is necessary if the airbags were the problem?
-what aftermarket part was the mechanic referring to?

-what was the story detailed in the work order...your version is to vague to make any determinations.
-base warranty is 3 years, 60 000kilometers/36000miles so you out of base warranty. shocks are not covered under powertrain which is 100 000kilometers/60miles....do you have a service contract?
Old April 5th, 2018, 4:12 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the part was covered under warranty most likely you wouldn't have an aftermarket replacement part on there. The aftermarket part is also most likely not a used or remanufactured air assisted shock since it didn't throw a code. Odd that they didn't find the faulty air shock - they didn't need a code for that. Looking at the two rear shocks and / or spraying a solution of soap and water and looking for bubbles would have done the trick.

Find yourself a local independent garage with good reviews on Google and have them diagnose which shock it is. Hurry, since this bound to burn out your air suspension compressor and they cost more than the shock for sure. If it is just one shock - have them replace it.

If both shocks are bad along with the compressor - a coil spring conversion kit could be a cost effective solution but that replaces the air suspension with steel springs. The ride may be rougher but you won't have air, magnaride or electonic suspension issues to deal with going forward.