Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Alarm Systems

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2007, 10:17 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Alarm Systems

Why would you ever want to use the factory remotes over a 2-way lcd, or 2-way color transmitter?

You would lose 99% of the functions of the alarm by using a simplistic factory remote.
Old May 17th, 2007, 10:20 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. So you would suggest replacing the factory system entirely or what? I want better protection with shock sensors and all, I want an alarm when someone comes CLOSE to my truck!
Old May 17th, 2007, 11:01 AM
CF Active Member

ORIGINAL: scott_mckinney

Anyway to make these aftermarket systems work with the factory remotes and in conjunction with the factory alarm? That would be very trick!
I had to buy an extra module that learns the factory computer and will mimic everything that the factory entry system does from the factory remote.
Old May 17th, 2007, 11:12 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

most aftermarket systems work in chorus with stock features. the kill switch i mentioned is actually a stock feature, but the aftermarket sensors are wired to trigger it. so you wouldnt be replacing the system with a new one. you would be adding more sensors, greater control, and communication in order to recieve feedback remotely.
if you have stock features on your remote like automatic liftgate / rear glass, then there are extra interface components you'll need to transfer these features to the new remote. i think they are vehicle specific but i don't have much experience with them.
there's a guy on SUVWORLD.com called SecurityDog. he's like the master guru when it comes to this stuff. you should hit him up.
and i actually played defense in college. linebacker. i wasn't very good. but i like busting heads.
Old May 17th, 2007, 11:17 AM
CF Active Member

Hi. Does anyone have some model numbers or units to look at? I want better protection with shock sensors and all, I want an alarm when someone comes CLOSE to my truck!
Old May 17th, 2007, 11:25 AM
CF Junior Member

and scott
there are a few systems that create a magnetic field around your tahoe and trigger if anything enters that field. a friend of mine had this system on his vette. but he hated it.said it was too sensitive.
i used to laugh cuzthe warning was not a chirp. it was a female voice that said "please step away from the vehicle. por favor paso lejos del vehículo". LOL. it never got old.
i think they are kinda expensive too. but i don't know much about them. again.. ask security dog.
Old May 17th, 2007, 11:42 AM
CF Active Member

jojo we are about the same size and I play at Texas A&M. 6'4" 245 at playing weight but Im at about 220 right now. D-END, gotta love defense man.
Old May 17th, 2007, 12:41 PM
CF Junior Member

nuthin like playin D. my homeboy Misi Tupe plays inside LB for A&M. and what happened against Cal last season!!?? 10 to 45 ??!!?? that musta hurt.
ired-shirted at Hawaii (where i grew up) but i finished in San Diego. i miss it. but i coach varisty D ends fora so-calihigh school now. it's how i get my fix. we're in spring camp now and Coach Carroll came to watch us practice and offerred one of my boys. i'm so stoked on it. i also just finished my masters so i'm gonna start marketing myself to college programs before my connections begin to fade.
to everyone looking for part numbers... i would just check with directed.com and contact support.
Old May 17th, 2007, 12:48 PM
CF Addict

DEI/Directed Electronics is the only route I would recommend. However, they are about all I have experience with. www.directed.com Some models are Viper 791XV, Viper 5900SST, and lastly Viper 7900 is the newest and best. It has a 3D color 2-way remote. All of these provide top of the line security with remote start. There are other systems, but on our vehicles I wouldnt install anything else.

For who ever is wanting the "back up" when someone nears your vehicle it is available. I use to know part numbers and part names but I dont any longer. I am sure it is a proximaty sensor and also a kit for the speaker to provide the voice. The parts are out there just do some research. www.hookedontronics.com is about as cheap of a vendor for viper I have found. I have purchased a lot of items from hookedontronics with no issues, but I havent had to return anything either. Most viper places will not sell just the kits, they will only sell them if they install them. It may be a directed policy.
Old May 17th, 2007, 12:52 PM
CF Addict

By the way, as mentioned above the aftermarket systems are compatible and work hand in hand with the factory system. But the factory remote will go bye bye.

Quick Reply: Alarm Systems