Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Alarm Systems

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2007, 2:06 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Alarm Systems

Hi. I appreciate all the help, maybe you can sum it all up for me. I took a look on Directed's website, but it is very confusing. I am not sure which direction to go in, they have several brands, and I do not know what is the BEST...
I took a look at the Clifford G5 units and they look very nice and professional, but dont know much more... I guess I want a system to replace what I currently have, the factory one, with more security and more options. I want keyless entry, remote start, rear hatch lifting ability, and MUCH more security. What would be the BEST kit for me? Please advise.

http://www.directed.com/Products/Security/Default.aspx
Old May 17th, 2007, 2:50 PM
CF Active Member

ORIGINAL: scott_mckinney

Hi. I appreciate all the help, maybe you can sum it all up for me. I took a look on Directed's website, but it is very confusing. I am not sure which direction to go in, they have several brands, and I do not know what is the BEST...
I took a look at the Clifford G5 units and they look very nice and professional, but dont know much more... I guess I want a system to replace what I currently have, the factory one, with more security and more options. I want keyless entry, remote start, rear hatch lifting ability, and MUCH more security. What would be the BEST kit for me? Please advise.

http://www.directed.com/Products/Security/Default.aspx
Scott,

I checked the Directed site as well - kinda settled on a couple of Viper systems in my mind. I then did the seller locator and found that one of the authorized seller/installers in my area had 4 locations so I went there. They are not cheap but what you end up paying for is the install. I am not mechanically inclined so I have to pay for the so called pros to do it. I got the unit one step lower than what was said to be the top model. It is model 5002 and it has the shock senors (Windows, hood, doors, body shake.), remote entry, ignition kill, 6 level coding that can not be duplicated, programmable sensitivity,remote with LCD display,etc.. I suggest you get a couple models in mind and go to an authorized dealer if you can not install yourself. I was also told that the AD gets the cream of the crop in units. Other resellers get refurbished / returned units and that is why some resellers have them for much cheaper prices.

Hope this helps.

Allen
Old May 18th, 2007, 3:28 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

authorized install is a MUST. the warranty isn't valid otheriwse.

and if you itemize the alarm as part of your insurance policy to obtain discounts on theft liability, unauthorized installation gives your provider a chance at denying a claim.
Old May 18th, 2007, 8:03 PM
CF Beginner

Hi,

I had a viper 7900 installed in my 05 truck but had a lot of issues with range and the remote losing it's pairing. I went back and had the 7900 ripped out and a Viper 5900 SST installed. The 5900 is an alarm with a built-in remote start. The 2 way remote is fantastic with range over 1.5 mile. It works everytime with no issues at all.
http://www.viper.com/Products/Produc...?ProductID=103

If you decide to install the 5900, make sure that the installer uses BypassKits to interface it to your vehicle that way you can still retain use of your factory remotes and not affect anything with OnStar, BypassKits (http://www.bypasskit.com/categories.aspx?catid=3) works very very well with GM unlike some of the other products that I've heard about. My setup includes the 5900 (SST) with the BypassKits and no complaints.

I've added a battery backup system to that, an incline sensor, a two stage microwase sensor in addition to the dual stage shock sensor that comes with the system. I am looking at adding a glass break sensor in the very near future that detects broken glass through a microphone that can be installed under the dash or in the center console.

The option that sounds the alarm off when someone is near the vehicle is called the field disturbance sensor. DEI makes some of the best Alarms out there, I am a big fan of their Viper line-up. A buddy of mine has a auto security shop in Quincy, MA. He does all DEI alarms and agrees that Viper is the best by far. By the way the part number for the DEI field disturbance sensor is 508D. Also, DEI has an option which allows web access through the serial port on the 7900 and 5900 series that allows you to do OnStar type activties yourself for an annual subscription fee.

Best of luck!

Old June 1st, 2007, 4:52 PM
CF Active Member

Yes, I would like to just add-on additional security features to my factory system. What all is required and what are my options?