Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Another rear glass story!

Search this Thread

Old September 8th, 2015, 11:40 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another rear glass story!

I have a 2003 Suburban. Last night while closing the rear glass the hinge broke free. Unlike every other rear glass posting I have read mine is broke off from the lift gate side. In other words, the hinge is still attached to the glass. It was dark when I got home so all I did was remove the strut on the broken side to relieve the pressure and get it closed as best as I could.

CORRECTION..it was dark when I looked the first time. Mine is separated from the glass too. Used epoxy to repair it. Will see how it holds up

The truck has 217 K on it; after reading all of the other posts online I won’t even waste my time calling the dealer.

I am hoping I can remove the back glass as an assembly and reattach the hinge. If there is enough room I’ll shoot a couple of rivets into the metal after cleaning it up and applying some JB weld. Lastly I will leave the struts off and never open that glass hatch again!!

Anyone have this particular issue?

Last edited by Chopperdoc; September 9th, 2015 at 3:08 PM. Reason: correction
Old November 12th, 2015, 4:21 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just purchased a 2003 Tahoe one owner from a Chevy dealer and they told me that the hinge was pulled loose up top and this was a recall issue. However, they could not get the correct glass assy with the heater strips. I was having the rear gate repainted by Gerber Body and Glass and they were able to get one in two days. I think the cost was around $500 or less installed. Since this was on the "we-owe", they cut me a check at the dealer and I signed off releasing them.