Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Any quick help?

Search this Thread

Old August 26th, 2009, 6:28 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Any quick help?

Okay so first thing first. 1999 chevy tahoe, 5.7 liter 4x4. I was doing a head gasket job and now I am a little stumped. I had it running but I could still hear some clattering in the odd side of the rockers/valves. sooo I took of the cover and did the manual adjusting and put it all back together.

Now the big problem, It wont start and it sounds a little whinny. Also its dumping massive amounts of fuel into the upper intake. Causing I guess you would call it blow back when i open the throttle. You can hear that it wants to start but won't. Please any ideas?

I double checked the plug wires they are correct, everything appears to be hooked back up correctly. If anyone wants I will happily give you my number and I can let you hear it first hand.

Jeff
Old August 26th, 2009, 6:55 PM
Super Moderator
Ride of the Month
May 2009

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would check the distributor position first and if that's not it I think maybe the valve adjustment is wrong. Does it turn over fast or sluggish? It is not firing because of timing or lack of compression so you may want to test that also.
Old August 26th, 2009, 7:20 PM
CF Beginner

you have some valves TOO tight.....did you adjust them with the motor running?????? that is the best way and you can buy the little oil diverters so you wont make a mess
Old August 26th, 2009, 8:37 PM
CF Beginner

Default turn over

It turned over fast but after I adjusted the odd side it was drastically slowed with alot of excess fuel in the upper intake (plenum). Tomorrow I will go to autozone and or Napa to see if they have the oil diverters and just do it the way I should have done it in the first place. This is frustrating because I am not a mechanical moron. But this thing is steadily kicking my a$$.

Thanks guys
Old August 27th, 2009, 8:13 PM
Super Moderator
Ride of the Month
May 2009

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jeff.ebel
It turned over fast but after I adjusted the odd side it was drastically slowed with alot of excess fuel in the upper intake (plenum). Tomorrow I will go to autozone and or Napa to see if they have the oil diverters and just do it the way I should have done it in the first place. This is frustrating because I am not a mechanical moron. But this thing is steadily kicking my a$$.

Thanks guys
Been there.
Old August 27th, 2009, 10:46 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look at your push rods sid you tighten it to much and bend the pushrods? YOu migh of even bent a valve. As far as the sarting havve someone adjust the ttiming while you try and start it.