Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

anyone ever Seafoam through the intake?

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2010, 9:56 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default anyone ever Seafoam through the intake?

I use Seafoam for all of my fuel treatment in my cars and lawn equipment. It seems to be the best stuff out there...I have also used it about once per year through the vacuum line in my '99 Acura TL.
these cars are notorious for carbon buildup in the intake manafold and the upper parts of the engine. The seafoam really does a wonder on this and smooths the idle out.
I am very comfortable doing this with my Acura but I did not know if guys have done it on the 5.3 we have and if so what vacuum line is the best? Need to make sure you send it to all of the cylinders and not just 1/2 of them like some lines feed.
let me know of any experiences because I would like to clean out the engine soon since I am at 50k miles
thanks!
Old May 7th, 2010, 10:38 PM
CF Veteran

hey man on my 04 5.3 i took the vacuum line from the power booster to the back of the intake. unplugged the hose on the booster end and just let the sea foam get sucked thru. engine idles rough but thats normal.
Old May 7th, 2010, 11:25 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you will get a lot of smoke too. but it will pass
Old May 9th, 2010, 11:51 PM
Professional Mechanic

I know a lot of people that own v6 4.3L Astros and use the brake booster line.
Old May 10th, 2010, 8:59 AM
CF Senior Member

I will try it out soon and take a few pictures. I have done it on my Acura and filled up the cul de sac with nice white smoke!
Old May 10th, 2010, 4:14 PM
CF Junior Member

I have no problem using it on my lawn equipment. It works especially well to fog the engine for winterizing.

However, I would never use it on a modern fuel injected, computer controlled vehicle. Just because it smokes a lot doesn't mean it is doing anything more than making a lot of smoke.

Last edited by vester; May 10th, 2010 at 4:14 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old May 10th, 2010, 5:10 PM
Administrator

Received 157 Likes on 155 Posts

Personally I'd stick w/ Techron.
Old May 11th, 2010, 4:42 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

I second the Techron. I buy it by the case and drop a bottle in about every 10th fill up and also use top tier fuel (Shell and Chevron) (not to be confused with premium grade, as I use regular 87 octane)
Old November 23rd, 2010, 12:50 PM
CF Beginner

After reading a bunch about different methods on using seafoam in the gas tank, crank case, and through the intake I'm going to give the intake method a shot some time in the near future. I've always been a fan of using it in the gas tank but never tried the intake. I do have some carbon build-up in the cylinders but it's not to bad at this point. I'm thinking it cant hurt anything... only improve.

Quick truck history: 07, 43k miles, bought a few months ago, I dont believe he ran anything threw the engine other than what GM did with scheduled maintenance.

I recently ran two can's of seafoam through my gas tank (i had a fairly rough idle, rougher than my 01 Tahoe with 185k miles) First can was with a full tank, second can about 2 tanks later and only with a 1/4 tank full. I knew it would improve the idle and it did that plus some. In my opinion, it improved the idle smoothness almost back to a new condition, Very impressed.

I have never used the Techron but Im sure it works as advertised.
Old November 23rd, 2010, 5:25 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

with only 43k miles, I would stick with running it thru the tank, as the injectors would benefit more then the intake with so few miles at this point...my .02¢

Quick Reply: anyone ever Seafoam through the intake?