Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Anyone have a TSB fix on their 6 speed?

Search this Thread

Old January 21st, 2010, 10:26 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have a TSB fix on their 6 speed?

I was trying to not to notice the shifting problem on my '09 6.2 LTZ, but finally took it in. Apparently there is a TSB # 09-07-30-004A for leaking clutch fluid seals that addresses this exact problem on 6.2's (Escalade, Denali, LTZ Tahoe) that put me in a 2010 GMC Terrain rental for 2 days while they had the entire trans/transfer case out for the fix. So far, so good. Not really happy about needing this fix on my new truck, but if it's fixed, OK. Anyone else have this done, and if so, how is the shifting now?
Old January 22nd, 2010, 9:53 AM
CF Junior Member

Is it a 6.2 issue only, or 5.3 as well? And what, exactly, is the problem you're experiencing? I either have the same problem, or I just can't stand the '09 tranny...
Old January 22nd, 2010, 2:26 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by KMeloney
Is it a 6.2 issue only, or 5.3 as well? And what, exactly, is the problem you're experiencing? I either have the same problem, or I just can't stand the '09 tranny...
you just have to get used to the shift program GM has in here.. or get a trans tune by someone who KNOWS what they're doing. My friend owns a highly respected performance shop in Toms River and I remember him paying the guy from GM who wrote the programs for the latest GM trans' to fly in and teach him and a couple of his guys how to tune the trans the right way. cost him thousands for the training but well worth it according to him.. The place is Tune Time Performance right near exit 82 on the Garden State Parkway (Seaside Heights exit).
Old January 22nd, 2010, 3:42 PM
CF Active Member

I'm not sure on the 5.3, you might ask your dealer with that TSB number. It basically says it pertains to the 6 speed that is suffering from rough shifts or "flair" on the 2-3 shift. Mine would seem to almost hit neutral for a moment as it shifted into third, exactly what the TSB is for (flair). This only happened at light throttle, and mostly when less than completely up to operating temp. I'm not convinced this fixed anything, it happened again this morning, but only once so far and I was told it will take some time for the ECU/TCU to "learn" what to do after the "fix". This leads me to believe that a real tune would do as much to fix this as pulling the trans for these seals. I guess the good thing is that I got a fluid change for free at only 6K miles.