Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Asking for advice about an 86 silverado suburban timing chain slip.

Search this Thread

Old February 13th, 2022, 1:34 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Actually henry, im going to uss soapy water in a spray bottle. I TOOK IT out to the doctors and it did the same, I tweaked the timing without a timing light more retarded, it worked for awhile, but I then got snow and then more, so , i'm starting over beginning with timing first. Will keep you informed. My,super bowl predictiln is rams over bengals 31- 28 for tomorrow..
Old February 21st, 2022, 6:33 PM
CF Monarch

Received 263 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay Dee
Actually henry, im going to uss soapy water in a spray bottle. I TOOK IT out to the doctors and it did the same, I tweaked the timing without a timing light more retarded, it worked for awhile, but I then got snow and then more, so , i'm starting over beginning with timing first. Will keep you informed. My,super bowl predictiln is rams over bengals 31- 28 for tomorrow..
Soapy water might work. Even WD-40 will work, Jay Dee.
Old February 21st, 2022, 11:53 PM
CF Junior Member

Henry, ....it took me a month and many hours online researching, to locate a correct temperature switch that matches the one wire type on my engine. It should arrive from Kansas possibly tomorrow, they only had 1. I have the choke set all the way right now but where my timing is at, if you push the gas too much it stalls. But it turns out the radiator level won't stay up because the bypass was clogged with rust, so I cleared it out with a coat hanger and pliers, it was really packed in.. I will install the switch and then reset everything. I am running some radiator flush again, and when that tests, I can go from there, in the old days I used to run naval jelly in my radiators to anode bad rust from cast iron blocks, and it never hurt any components. I don't know anybody else who ever did that, but I did for years . I talked this problem of when it gets hot and won't hold the idle , over with a guy at a local auto parts place and he said he had one of the same year carbs, and it was hell to get his to run correctly. So I am not the only one it seems with this problem. The back window switch motor only goes down and I had to cardboard and tape it until I can tear it down. Might put in a mechanical crank conversion kit. Pain in the behind right now. Snowing tonight , maybe some tomorrow, so that's's where I'm at now, but on timing chain, i know that's right, I suppose once you fix the larger issues, then the small ones reveal themselves. I am hoping the switch will help. It remains to be seen. I will report as I find answers....I don't give up easy, but took it around the block 5 times today just to move some radiator cleaner through it.
Old February 22nd, 2022, 10:04 PM
CF Monarch

Henry, ....it took me a month and many hours online researching, to locate a correct temperature switch that matches the one wire type on my engine. It should arrive from Kansas possibly tomorrow, they only had 1. I have the choke set all the way right now but where my timing is at, if you push the gas too much it stalls. But it turns out the radiator level won't stay up because the bypass was clogged with rust, so I cleared it out with a coat hanger and pliers, it was really packed in.. I will install the switch and then reset everything. I am running some radiator flush again, and when that tests, I can go from there, in the old days I used to run naval jelly in my radiators to anode bad rust from cast iron blocks, and it never hurt any components. I don't know anybody else who ever did that, but I did for years . I talked this problem of when it gets hot and won't hold the idle , over with a guy at a local auto parts place and he said he had one of the same year carbs, and it was hell to get his to run correctly. So I am not the only one it seems with this problem. The back window switch motor only goes down and I had to cardboard and tape it until I can tear it down. Might put in a mechanical crank conversion kit. Pain in the behind right now. Snowing tonight , maybe some tomorrow, so that's's where I'm at now, but on timing chain, i know that's right, I suppose once you fix the larger issues, then the small ones reveal themselves. I am hoping the switch will help. It remains to be seen. I will report as I find answers....I don't give up easy, but took it around the block 5 times today just to move some radiator cleaner through it.
Jay Dee: If you really want to clean your cooling system, they make a strong alkaline flush, but you have to treat it like acid and wear protective gear, like that naval jelly.. Glad you found that switch in time before someone else did. Yeah, you've come a long way with your Burb, man.
Old February 23rd, 2022, 1:01 AM
CF Junior Member

Got the sensor today, but had a family emergency,so couldn't install it. There calling for snow again, so maybe tomorrow morning.
The following users liked this post:
oilcanhenry (February 27th, 2022)
Old February 24th, 2022, 11:01 PM
CF Junior Member

Installed temp sensor in thermostat housing today, but didn't use teflon tape, used a tad of silicone gasket red, just a little near the top of threads but not much. It was cold out, so I used a torch to heat the housing, as sensors both had different sized brass hexagons, but threads were same, + after R&R , did not leak, I didn't have time to reset timing, but did lower the auto choke. It serms to be holding idle, a bit rough, but needs adjusting , so it seems to be working. Family Emergency stabilized, but still looming over us all. These cheap WalMart Chinese tires on this suburban slip in almost no snow unlike any I have ever seen. Ridiculous ! Anyway, I will adjust the car as time etc permits, and check everything else then report back, but looks like I am close to the solution. More testing tomorrow. Still snowing on and off.
Old February 27th, 2022, 2:40 AM
CF Monarch

Installed temp sensor in thermostat housing today, but didn't use teflon tape, used a tad of silicone gasket red, just a little near the top of threads but not much. It was cold out, so I used a torch to heat the housing, as sensors both had different sized brass hexagons, but threads were same, + after R&R , did not leak, I didn't have time to reset timing, but did lower the auto choke. It serms to be holding idle, a bit rough, but needs adjusting , so it seems to be working. Family Emergency stabilized, but still looming over us all. These cheap WalMart Chinese tires on this suburban slip in almost no snow unlike any I have ever seen. Ridiculous ! Anyway, I will adjust the car as time etc permits, and check everything else then report back, but looks like I am close to the solution. More testing tomorrow. Still snowing on and off.
I am sorry to here about your family emergency, Jay Dee, but family comes first.
Old February 27th, 2022, 6:13 AM
CF Junior Member

Thanks henry, I am paying attention to that.
Old April 24th, 2022, 3:24 AM
CF Junior Member

Henry, just getting back to you. The hei went out a week 9r so ago,and I replaced the fuel pump while I was at it. It is still doing the same ...idling till it goes about 10 miles, then I have to used the gas and brake both at stops.
i notice a hard brake, so , it is still likely the brake booster. With everything else I find the gas at nearly 4.00 a gallon by the Biden Presidency, has me not driving it much. I MAY GET A BOOSTER for it, to see if it solves the problem. It's never been replaced. The classic plates limit the miles now to 4500 a year with fines if overdriven. This is new. They want the old cars off the roads. That sucks.
The following users liked this post:
oilcanhenry (April 29th, 2022)
Old April 27th, 2022, 11:30 PM
CF Monarch

Henry, just getting back to you. The hei went out a week 9r so ago,and I replaced the fuel pump while I was at it. It is still doing the same ...idling till it goes about 10 miles, then I have to used the gas and brake both at stops.
i notice a hard brake, so , it is still likely the brake booster. With everything else I find the gas at nearly 4.00 a gallon by the Biden Presidency, has me not driving it much. I MAY GET A BOOSTER for it, to see if it solves the problem. It's never been replaced. The classic plates limit the miles now to 4500 a year with fines if overdriven. This is new. They want the old cars off the roads. That sucks.
Hi Jay Dee!! Nice to hear from you again.

The Dems re going to get creamed in November, IMO People, even dems are tired of his presidency and the Senate at least will rule then, maybe even the House. Cutting us off of the Keystone pipeline was his first idiocy and a major blow to America.
I think he is in some stage of dementia/ Alzheimer disease, likely propped up by medications. President John F. Kennedy had Addison's Disease and was on amphetamines and steroids, and of course, President Franklin D. Roosevelt had polio, long before the polio vaccine was available. TV was not available back then, so he could address the people by radio address.

People who use non-solar electric cars are hypocrites, as lots of that energy comes from petroleum or coal powered plants, so they are only transferring emissions to these plants from their electric cars. I think hybrids are the way to go. The electrical infrastructure isn't strong enough to handle charging millions of electric cars, at least not yet.

I personally think nuclear power plants can be made safe, but the only problem is getting rid of the waste somewhere safe. Had the Japanese had a 50-foot seawall and backup generators located higher up away from Fukushima, I don't think it would have done all the damage it did. They have acres of radioactive dirt in huge bags, with no safe place to permanently store all of it in Japan, and if they shipped it to a country willing to take it by sea, what happens if a vessel sinks? More radioactive waste in the Pacific Ocean, of course. It looks like either New Mexico or Nevada will be two states where radioactives can be stored, but the Japanese have no such places. The genius who can render radioactives inert will become a very wealthy person, indeed.

Yeah, I have cut down on my use of gasoline as well. It's starting to come down in price, thankfully. The food prices have gone up like crazy as well.Yeah, I agree about the brake booster issue. I honestly think that that is the problem. I didn't know a thing about the classic plates issue, as we don't have that here yet. I agree, they want us all driving electrical vehicles, however.

Quick Reply: Asking for advice about an 86 silverado suburban timing chain slip.