Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Autoride air pump runs too much

Search this Thread

Old August 29th, 2012, 11:17 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Autoride air pump runs too much

I have a '06 Suburban LTZ K1500 and lately I think the air pump for the air shocks is running too much. Typically I would hear it when first starting the engine for a short time then only hear it again if the load in the rear end changed. I tow a 21ft camper quite a bit and of course when hooked up to the trailer, the pump runs quite a bit longer but then stops and that is about all there usually is too it.

Lately, whether towing or not, it seems to run longer than usual before stopping and sometimes it will just start running again for a while.

I know some people are not a fan of this system but I am not into rock crawling, lifting or lowering and I would actually say typically this system works quite well and keeps our vehicle level whether empty, hauling, towing, whatever. I would like to know how to troubleshoot this system, other than disable something, pull fuses, etc. Any ideas?

Thanks so much.
Old August 30th, 2012, 8:57 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DPLarson
I have a '06 Suburban LTZ K1500 and lately I think the air pump for the air shocks is running too much. Typically I would hear it when first starting the engine for a short time then only hear it again if the load in the rear end changed. I tow a 21ft camper quite a bit and of course when hooked up to the trailer, the pump runs quite a bit longer but then stops and that is about all there usually is too it.

Lately, whether towing or not, it seems to run longer than usual before stopping and sometimes it will just start running again for a while.

I know some people are not a fan of this system but I am not into rock crawling, lifting or lowering and I would actually say typically this system works quite well and keeps our vehicle level whether empty, hauling, towing, whatever. I would like to know how to troubleshoot this system, other than disable something, pull fuses, etc. Any ideas?

Thanks so much.
You have a leak somewhere in a line or shock. I would find it soon and see if you can save the pump before it burns itself out running to much.

Search back in the threads and a GM service rep posted a pretty good descrip of how to trouble shoot it.