Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Aux fan?

Search this Thread

Old September 11th, 2010, 10:04 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aux fan?

Hey guys (and girls),

I have a 2002 suburban. Done just a few things to it. Replaced the shocks with Bilstein (I am a fan.. Rock crawler has them too), quickly found out, I had to replace the rear springs too (to avoid sag). Got the Z71 springs from the dealer up north. Rides good! Magnaflow muffler. I got the big one. 22" if I remember, little rumble, but quiet enough for kids, wife wanted louder..lol

Anyway, question. Looking at putting on a aux fan. Anyone done it? She runs fine. Cool. No issues, just when I tow the rock crawler, on a few hills where we go, a/c has to be off. With two kids now, not liking that for next summer. So, some extra air is due. How big of a pusher fan can I go? What manufacture did you guys use? Not interested in a severe duty clutch (did that on Jeep..works great) and loosing power.

Thanks
Old September 11th, 2010, 11:08 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i go 2 16" fans for my 95 silverado.. and i got them both for under $100 shipped on eBay..they work out really good except if ur idling long..like a traffic jam or something.. i got the kit which kicks it on at 180 and kicks off at 170... they kick on for about 10 mins then shut off for about 10 mins.. eBay has them pretty cheap.. just make sure you wire them up correctly... oh and it added extra power.. you could defiantly feel it

edit: also welcome to the forum..and ..can we see pics of the Tahoe and rock crawler!
Old September 12th, 2010, 12:39 AM
CF Beginner

I was thinking more of a add-on than a replacement (when a/c comes on). Good idea though. Found this. Its a OEM replacement. Brackets and all.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1992-...Q5fAccessories

Old September 12th, 2010, 9:04 AM
Super Moderator

oh ok the kit i have tells you how to do that..but i didnt want to mess with any more wiring then i have to!..that looks like a good fan for $50 shipped..
Old September 12th, 2010, 5:27 PM
CF Beginner

Just looked. Not sure if there is room. I have two external coolers I see. I assume trans and oil?

May have to go with severe duty clutch then.
Old September 12th, 2010, 7:32 PM
CF Pro Member

just a little warning, if you are on the highway a pusher fan will only make your truck hotter. try flushing your coolant system and use a little bit more water than the 50/50 mix use a 35/75 mix or a 40/60 mix if you are near a cold area, i would go with what gotstylez said and just replace the clutch fan with an electric puller, i mean if you are going to get an electric fan, may as well do it right, right? also, you could try an engine oil cooler and bigger trans cooler (or just an engine cooler) oil plays a huge part of keeping the engine cool
Old September 12th, 2010, 8:47 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by 2wd-K5
just a little warning, if you are on the highway a pusher fan will only make your truck hotter. try flushing your coolant system and use a little bit more water than the 50/50 mix use a 35/75 mix or a 40/60 mix if you are near a cold area, i would go with what gotstylez said and just replace the clutch fan with an electric puller, i mean if you are going to get an electric fan, may as well do it right, right? also, you could try an engine oil cooler and bigger trans cooler (or just an engine cooler) oil plays a huge part of keeping the engine cool
I did state that above. It has an oil cooler and trans cooler.

Also, I am wanting a aux fan NOT a electric motor fan. They are seperate. It only get warm when towing and a/c on.

I did all the coolant, and hoses, belts, and t-stat.

Last edited by Suburban7081; September 12th, 2010 at 8:51 PM.