Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Back Up Camera Problems

Search this Thread

Old March 23rd, 2013, 8:33 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok. I just took the Burban for a ride and now i cant even get the override camera mode to work! all the other over rides are working, but i have no camera at all!!! How on earth can disconnecting the battery cause this! we have done it before, and had to replace the battery ($160) and never had any problems like this. This car is really starting to get on my nerves because so many things are starting to go wrong. The shocks, compressor, soon the struts, the Fuel Management lifters are bad, still relearning the Throttle Body and wreaking my mileage while its at it, no more back up cam, at night the only thing I can see out of the is right side mirror as the driver mirror and rear view get dark as hell and i cant see a thing, the starter went open circuit, summer of 2011 went through: a front left wheel bearing, 3 front rotors, 3 front calipers, and literally 6 sets of brake pads just for the front, boy my wallet sure enjoyed that, $450 rear lift gate latch, Driver door switch controller, and the list still continues on

and yet our friends bought this thing for over $55k. We have the build sheet, not cheap and not impressive for the price...

Last edited by Joe In NY; March 23rd, 2013 at 8:39 PM.
Old March 23rd, 2013, 8:40 PM
CF Senior Member

now, with that bit of anger out of my system for now... Is it possible for a dealer to fix this? And should I be expecting a large bill....
Old March 24th, 2013, 2:32 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

You might want to re-seat the camera connections I THINK they are behind the kick panel on the passenger side..again I don't have the option so I am going from memory of things I have read...
The power cycle could have caused a poor connection to go bad or allowed a weak relay to not close properly could be all kinds of guesses... I'd re-seat all camera connections first then go from there...keep in mind the dealer may not even touch it if you admit that you had an aftermarket override in place....
Old March 24th, 2013, 3:52 PM
Administrator

Received 157 Likes on 155 Posts

If you decide to go to a dealer, like in2pro said, I'd remove all traces of the Lockpick.
Old March 24th, 2013, 9:35 PM
CF Senior Member

ok, cause honestly i was almost considering leaving it in place, dont know why, but now that i am really thinking about yeah, that would not be good.

its easy to get rid of, just the Lock Pick its self and its wiring harness. pretty easy to rid of. but for some reason when i undo the lock pick it will auto reverse cam but hold it too long. but when i put the lock pick back in place it knows that im shifting as the screen flashes and i see it say "driver restrictions" and then go to unlocked like normal...

Im also going to call Coastal-Electronics tomorrow, I am very persistent so I will not give up till some one answers the phone there.
Old March 25th, 2013, 12:34 AM
Administrator

When you say it works normally w/o the Lockpick except it stays on too long after you shift out of Reverse, how long does it stay on?

You can shut the camera off after you shift by pushing the Audio button.
Old March 25th, 2013, 6:21 AM
CF Senior Member

It stays on for about 5-6 seconds. But I hit any button on the radio or even just adjust the volume it switches over from the camera.
Old March 25th, 2013, 11:15 AM
Administrator

That's normal operation.
Old March 25th, 2013, 2:46 PM
CF Senior Member

What???
Um that doesn't seem normal.

In the past 4 years that we have owned this it instantly switches to back up cam and instantly switches out. No delay what so ever...

You are positive this is normal?
Old March 25th, 2013, 8:11 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

try navtool module, i have it for few years 0 problems and the fact that its made in USA make it only better

Quick Reply: Back Up Camera Problems