Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Blaze HID kits?

Search this Thread

Old September 29th, 2010, 1:28 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Blaze HID kits?

has anyone heard of or had experience with this brand? Our Tahoe came with an HID kit installed when we bought it but the driver side light only works 1/2 the time so I want to replace it all with a good kit. A local car audio shop sells this brand and will install for $250 total with a "lifetime" guarantee.
I really do not have time to mess with getting a kit and installing myself for the next few weeks and we need the headlights to work so that is why I was going to go to a shop.
thank you for any input
Old September 29th, 2010, 5:08 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does the existing HID have a relay harness installed?

Check with supporting vendors for this site. If there are none, try DDM Tuning. I purchased a set for ~$75 and installed in ~2 hours. To do it properly, you need to reach the third bolt through the wheel well (driver side). Other have just removed the upper two bolts and slid the housing out. I have no idea how they fit their hands in there to do it properly though. The passenger side, you can access by removing the air filter box.
Old September 30th, 2010, 7:38 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how would I tell if a relay harness is installed? the ballasts are mounted vertically on a bracket and there are just the 2 wire/connectors on the bottom coming out.
if I move one of the wires on the driver's side ballast just a little the light will come on and stay on, but if I turn the truck off then back on it won't fire up unless I mess with the wire.
the ballast makes a noise - kind of like when a flourescent light is starting to go out, a buzzing noise. I would assume either the connection is bad or the ballast is bad
Old September 30th, 2010, 9:51 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If there is a relay harness then the lights will be directly connected to the battery for power.

With you jiggling the wires and it fires up, it seems like it is a wiring issue. If you can not fix the wire yourself, it is cheap just to get a new HID kit.