Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Bose?

Search this Thread

Old March 11th, 2007, 3:28 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Bose?

You have another valid point, I should have clarified my comment but my post was running too long as it was so I didn't elaborate.

My point regarding Bose (and Pioneer) is not that they don't produce any decent products (obviously both companies do), I was trying to convey that just because you see the name "Bose" or "Pioneer" doesn't necessarily mean that you are getting top-of-the-line (which most people understand).
There was a day however when both companies produced only state-of-art products.

And while I do agree that there is an infinite number of aftermarket head units that put OEM's to shame there are also as many reasons that many consumers do not want to make the change;
1. Overall appearance and seamless integration of OEM units

2. Ease of operation of OEM.

3. Cost of unit and install.

4. Distrust of install technicians (many are young inexperience kids aka: butchers).

5. Factory warranty interference.

6. OEM head-unit quality is pretty decent in most cases however OEM speaker quality is not in most cases.

And the list goes on.

You can install a $1,500 head unit but if you have a set of $10 dollar speakers; I don't need to tell you what kind of sound quality you can expect.

Having schit speakers and a great head unit is kind of like installing P165/80-R13 tire on your Z06.

Old March 11th, 2007, 4:44 PM
davemec

Dave, I replaced the speakers in the rear doors yesterday and they had a Bose sticker on them. You had stated in another post that they were Delco speakers. Just wanted to see if the sticker is just placed on a pair of Delcos in the rear doors when you get the Bose package.
Old March 12th, 2007, 9:59 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow... thanks for all the info. Everyone brings up very valid points, I love this forum... everyone is so helpful, and does not seem to waste time on crappy info and rumors like other forums do.
Old March 12th, 2007, 2:01 PM
CF Addict

Default RE: Correction

davemec,
My bad, we tore into some door panels last year on a couple of pre-production 07 GMT900's and found Delco speakers in the rear doors, today I ran a production equipment build list and discovered that 2-ohm 6.5" Bose mid-woofer speakers are in-fact being installed in the rear doors of regular production units, sorry.
Only the tweeters are not officially licensed Bose speakers on your Tahoe.
Old March 12th, 2007, 2:06 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dave, you are completelt correct. i first thought when i bought a yukon a couple years back when i saw the bose logo on the bottom speaker grill,wow i got bose on my ride.but it is far from what bose used to be in the late 70s,80s and 90s.but you have sealed the coffin shut with what you wrote at the end, i didnt even want to change the h/u becausehowit flows with the interior and it is easy to use.
Old March 12th, 2007, 2:21 PM
davemec

Thanks for the info. I was just confused when I finally got the speaker out and saw the Bose sticker on the back. Not a big deal though, I still switched them out for a set of Infinity speakers I had from my last car.
Old March 12th, 2007, 3:34 PM
CF Addict

How does it sound now Dave?
Did it change it for the better?
Old March 12th, 2007, 4:52 PM
davemec

I think it does sound better now. The only thing I was worried about (I have practically no car stereo knowledge) is that my Infinity speakers are 4-ohm and the Bose were 2-ohm.

I might try to tackle switching the fronts for a pair of Infinity components that I also have from my old car. Not sure about setting up the crossover and wiring the speakers correctly.
Old March 12th, 2007, 5:15 PM
CF Addict

You'll be OK so long as it gets loud enough for you.
The problem is going to a lower ohm speaker then you could overheat the amp.
Old March 12th, 2007, 5:25 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

Your suggestion re: biasing sound to front speakers (or at least that's how I interpreted it)seemed to improve the sound to me.

Quick Reply: Bose?