Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Bose?

Search this Thread

Old March 13th, 2007, 11:25 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Correction

ORIGINAL: ZX1100F1
...........Only the tweeters are not officially licensed Bose speakers on your Tahoe.
Clarification: The tweeters are not supplied by Bose, but they approve the part that goes with the system toensure the performance is appropriate. This is a result of the cutthroat OEM business.
Old March 13th, 2007, 2:49 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Correction

Thanks for clearing that up. If the powers to be at Bose would adhere to there pioneering standards and values they would not have “approved” those crappy little speakers.

When I hit the key and rotate the volume **** I want to be impressed! And that is where the tire hits the pavement as far as I'm concerned.
I could care less how many MIT licensed and trained "listeners" it took to design and approve the fidelity or what material the speaker cones are made from or even the number and size of the drivers in the ensemble; I’m finding is that the average consumer utilizes a similar thought process.
What GM is currently undertaking is a partnership to offer custom (vehicles specific) OEM factory audio upgrade kits produced by well known manufacturers, the kits will be available at reasonable prices and installation will be straight forward and require no modifications to the vehicle or its wiring, kits installed by GM licensed shops are covered under the new car warranty as well. This product is currently offered for the Hummer H2 line by Rockford Fosgate, expect to see more system offerings in the near future.
Old March 16th, 2007, 11:32 PM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: Bose?

Can I ask how you replaced the A pillar tiny speakers with the Polk 1000s? Was it just a swap and solder job? Do they fit in the Bose plastic bracket?

Thanks.

ORIGINAL: ZX1100F1

Replacing the front tweeters with a high quality brand such as Polk or Infinity Reference will produce a much cleaner and crisper high end, I have the Polk db1000's in my Tahoe and they make a noticeable difference.

The "Bose” 6.5” drivers in the Tahoe system are marginal at best, but they are very efficient (big sound with little power), keep this in mind.

As for the rear doors; it depends on whether you want to tailor the sound for the rear seat passengers or for the driver and front seat pax, if your kids are into headphones and the only time that you crank it up a bit is when you're alone then you can replace the rear door speakers with a pair of Bose mid-woofers even though in the end it will make little discernable deference up front, a better solution is to go with a high end (and efficient) co-axle speaker.

What I have done in my Silverado is replace the factory door speakers and a-pillar tweeters with a set of component Hertz MLK-2 6.5” speakers (Italian high end stuff), I installed a Nakamichi 4-channel amp under the passenger seat and replaced the 4x6” B-pillar speakers with a set of cap'd Polk db460's, No sub but you'd never know it due to the small cab size.

I bring this up because you could easily replace your OEM speakers with a set of high-end component speakers in the front and similar co-ax types in the rear doors of your Tahoe and get a much improved sound quality while utilizing the factory amp, sub and rear mid's.

One thing that you want to make sure of during a speaker upgrade is to avoid metal-to-metal (speaker basket to door panel) contact apply a thin insulator or you will get reverberation galore and make sure to mount the speakers as securely (tight) as you can.
I use foam speaker baffles to protect the speakers and enhance the low-end.

I agree with myco01975 but if you are unhappy with your current sound system the above may help.
Old March 16th, 2007, 11:37 PM
CF Junior Member

FM and especially XM have their bandwidth cropped to fit in their transmission channels. As a result FM always sounds less than CD and XM is very close to crap - my opinion anyhow.

I do not intend to renew the XM after it expires and opted to install a goodiPOD interface through the NAV instead...

ORIGINAL: P_RsTahoe

For all the guys stating that they dont like the bose speakers, are you listening to the FM/XM or CD's? I will tell you there is such a big difference going from the radio to a CD. The CD"s sound so much better. Like some have stated here, aftermarket have and will always be better than stock system. All I did was install a 12" sub and amp and I'm satisfied with the sound for now.
Old March 19th, 2007, 1:22 AM
CF Active Member

ORIGINAL: yarom

FM and especially XM have their bandwidth cropped to fit in their transmission channels. As a result FM always sounds less than CD and XM is very close to crap - my opinion anyhow.
Bandwidth? FM yes. XM and Sirius, no. It's a digital stream from the birds. Crappy sound? Blame it on the cheap D to A's in your receiver.
Old March 19th, 2007, 2:06 AM
CF Junior Member

It is my understanding that in order to fit all the channels in a limited number of transponders, they are first formatted narrower than 41k (CD is 48k) and then MUXed on the way down and then deMUXed once they get to the receiver. The resulting sound is a world far from CD quality sound.
Old March 19th, 2007, 3:43 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My only complaint is that it doesn't get loud enough. I just wish there was a way to extend the range on the head unit. My friend has a Z71 tahoe with the Nav head unit. (I dont have the nav head unit)and when he plays his music on his ipod through his head unit (i use my ipod for my music too) It sounds 2 times louder than mine? Is something wrong with my head unit or does this have something to do with him having the Nav unit while I just have the stock one? Keep in mind we both have the same upgraded Bose system.
Old March 19th, 2007, 4:32 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default volume problems

Hello TPeezy,

I don't know if this is applicable to you (as you do not have the NAV head unit), but there is a program update that includes a fix for low volume.
https://chevroletforum.com/m_14997/tm.htm
I have low volume myself (w/NAV radio) and am trying to get it back to the dealer this week so they can check to see if I have the latest update (here's hoping I can get it fixed).
I almost exclusively listen to XM... have had a subscription in otherautos for years now.
Frosty
Old March 19th, 2007, 1:11 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Hardin Thicke

Bandwidth? FM yes. XM and Sirius, no. It's a digital stream from the birds. Crappy sound? Blame it on the cheap D to A's in your receiver.

With statements such as this you're coming off as if you know next to nothing about satelite radio.
Old March 19th, 2007, 3:14 PM
CF Active Member

Default This ought to be fun!...

What are you looking for chief, a treatise on satellite radio or simple answers? So which chipset would you like to start with? XM or Sirius? I do both, but I spend most of my timeon the Sirius ST A240 baseband processor and more specificallyits embedded ARM946E-S microprocessor. The ARM9 handles all of the audio decoding and control functions......I'm sorry......you already knew this though, didn't you. Go back down your hole...

Quick Reply: Bose?