Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Bought an 01, can you help with a couple things?

Search this Thread

Old October 28th, 2018, 6:42 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bought an 01, can you help with a couple things?

Bought a 2001 6.0 2500 suburban with 133k.

Now today it gave the seller some issues, says MAF low voltage. He replaced the MAF, I cleared the code and it still has a hesition. Driving in town and moderate throttle it is fine, but if you put your foot in it, it will start bucking. He gave me a fair price after it started acting up.

So does this sound like a coil? Or what? I have no idea other than a coil.

Also, oil PSI. The guage reads 40 PSI on the dot when driving in town, but at a hot idle it sits around 20 PSI. Is this normal?
Old October 28th, 2018, 7:20 PM
CF Beginner

It also has old oil. It is very dirty. The guage flickers too, it wobbles. I assume a sending unit?

Going to change the oil tomorrow, was thinking a highmileage oil, 10w-30 maybe?
Old October 29th, 2018, 8:16 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by ChevyB
It also has old oil. It is very dirty. The guage flickers too, it wobbles. I assume a sending unit?

Going to change the oil tomorrow, was thinking a highmileage oil, 10w-30 maybe?
Sounds to me that the former owner rode this vehicle hard and put it away wet. 20 psi oil pressure is lower
then I would tolerate. You can bet you have lots of sludge
and carbon deposits. High mileage oils won't clean
this out. I'd run Seafoam or MMO and dump it soon.
Of course nothing is going to repair all the bearng
and piston/combustion chamber wear. I'd be getting rid of this old hoss ASAP. It's gonna be a money pit if you dont.

Probably dirty injectors is why it's bogging down. Cheap gasoline, which the owner
used will cause that issue. Put some Techron or Seafoam down the gas tank, find a straight road with no traffic and hammer that ***** down hard. Beats new injectors or manual injector cleaning.

Last edited by oilcanhenry; October 29th, 2018 at 6:13 PM.
Old October 29th, 2018, 8:41 AM
CF Beginner

Well that is not assuring. I read of a lot of people saying online that 20 psi HOT idle is okay. Tends to be about 24, just below the 25 notch, but after a long, long drive it can stoop around 20. It is lower in my opinion too. The guage also flutters. I will be changing the oil then putting a new sending unit on. From there I will assess it's longevity.

The previous owner got it about 70k miles and said it's always been the same oil psi for him. It was a family vehicle for the wife. I saw the Carfax maintenance reports and was comforted by them.

Old October 29th, 2018, 3:44 PM
CF Beginner

I did an oil change on it, it was about a 1 quart low. Changed the oil, hot idle at 200 ishdegrees is 24-26 psi. Slightly better, even though those guages aren't very precise.

I noticed a slight lifter clack right after the oil change, so I took it around the block real quick and the noise disappated.

Put some seafoam in the gas tank, didn't really help the hesitation so I'm leaning towards something other than an injector. Maybe sparkplugs or a coil pack? Previous owner said he had it in the shop for spark plugs and they said don't bother because they still look good. May not hurt to change.
Old October 29th, 2018, 4:28 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

If it has 130K miles without plug, plug wire change, change them
Old October 29th, 2018, 5:03 PM
CF Beginner

Wires are all he changed. Coils have to be original and the plugs he said the mechanic told him we're good. I will anyways.

The scanner says "MAF Sensor/Air, low voltage"

Last edited by ChevyB; October 29th, 2018 at 5:05 PM.
Old October 29th, 2018, 6:08 PM
CF Monarch

Well that is not assuring. I read of a lot of people saying online that 20 psi HOT idle is okay. Tends to be about 24, just below the 25 notch, but after a long, long drive it can stoop around 20. It is lower in my opinion too. The guage also flutters. I will be changing the oil then putting a new sending unit on. From there I will assess it's longevity.

The previous owner got it about 70k miles and said it's always been the same oil psi for him. It was a family vehicle for the wife. I saw the Carfax maintenance reports and was comforted by them.

I am assuming that the gauge is correct. The only way to know for sure is to use a real oil pressure gauge. It just my own opinion, but hot idle at 30 PSI means you have major wear. Hell, my 20 year old K-1500 runs just under 40 PSI at hot idle and close to 60 PSI at 2000 RPM, for instance, but its been well taken care of too.
Old October 29th, 2018, 6:11 PM
CF Monarch

Wires are all he changed. Coils have to be original and the plugs he said the mechanic told him we're good. I will anyways.

The scanner says "MAF Sensor/Air, low voltage"
Pull a couple of plugs. If they look good, no reason to change them, although if you have a bad cylinder, it will foul that plug. I'd do a pressure leak down test myself.