Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

bought today, 99 Suburban 1500 4x4, dead not running

Search this Thread

Old August 3rd, 2011, 4:08 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It's running!!!!!!!

Well, what a fantastic day it turned out to be. I picked up a new ignition switch & new key lock/cylinder and that did the trick. As I had mentioned, I bought the truck with it not running. Once I got the starter in, it felt like the tranny was bad as well as the starter. it was all chunky, turn over once then stop, then not turn over etc, just a real mess. I would have taken it to a shop and lost hundreds of bucks I"m sure had I not come across a particular website. therein, it had explained that if certain codes come up all at once, and if some of your gauges are erratic, plus you will have fuse 13 on the driver's side fuse panel, be bad & not showing any power, & the tranny will default into 3rd gear and it would seem that you have a bad tranny solenoid. the same circuit that provides current to the tranny & solenoids etc. also send current to some of the guages too. these are signs of faulty ignition switch. Go to
GM truck bad ign. switch

there you can get a better idea of what I'm trying to explain. The truck is running excellent,......for now....
Old August 4th, 2011, 8:54 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

good to know. You see you got a steal. When I bought my Suburb it was rattling and whatnot. I thought rocker arms in the right head. The guy I got it from actually bought the rocker arms, all of them.
What did I do? I replaced the serpentine belt and all the noise went away. So a $9/belt cured what HE thought was a $200 problem. His loss. My car runs like a Buick on the highway. Not truck like at all.
Old August 4th, 2011, 9:45 AM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

If electrical items have been removed, they may have blown fuses in the process... check ALL fuses with a meter.
Old August 4th, 2011, 8:12 PM
CF Beginner

Now that it's running I'm going to start replacing some fluids. What type of oil should I put in? It's a 99 Sub. 4X4 5.7L with 126K. I'm thinking of pouring some SeaFoam in the gas tank as well as add it to the oil. Drive it for a week or two then drain the oil/filter, but do I use conventional or blend or full synthetic? I usually add a Lucas product to every fill up too. plugs, wires, coolant, tranny fluid all look fine. anything I should be watchful of or preventive care that I should know about?
Old August 5th, 2011, 7:13 AM
CF Beginner

Morning
If your data port is still not working check the Cig lighter fuse,yes for some reason GM has them on the same circuit.

Lucas is good stuff.If the car has not been on Syn its whole life do not advise going to it as the molecules are smaller than a crude based oil and sometimes..(not EVERY time) a small oil leak can turn into a much bigger one.

My advice to cust and for sure one with the miles you have is the Valvoline Max life in a 10w30.with a quart of Lucas if you like.
Old August 5th, 2011, 8:13 AM
CF Beginner

thank you for the tips. i went an bought the oil an filter. much appreciated for everyone's posts. that about does it for this thread.

Aaron

ps, how do i end this so that it shows on the forum that my issues are fixed?
Old August 5th, 2011, 12:26 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by livinginsuburbania
thank you for the tips. i went an bought the oil an filter. much appreciated for everyone's posts. that about does it for this thread.

Aaron

You just did! Boy you have a pair, too buy a vehicle that didn't run and had all of those problems. And now to take it untested on a trip. Good luck and I wish you well.
Old August 5th, 2011, 3:47 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by livinginsuburbania

Aaron

Post back after your trip.