Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Bowtie questions

Search this Thread

Old January 20th, 2008, 3:51 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bowtie questions

So, I backed into a steel pole and am taking my tahoe in to get painted. So while its in the body shop I was wanting to get my bowties painted to match my black paint. Well the dealer tells me they can't paint the stock bowties as they will peel in no time. The guy told me they had tried it on the dealership bodyshop manager's truck and it peeled. So he said I would have to order raw bowties that are able to be painted and not finished with the gold and plastic covering like the stock OEM bowtie that comes on our tahoes. However, I'm confused because several of you guys on here have painted yalls with no problems right? So I went to a different body shop to get an estimate on my damage done, and asked him about the emblems being painted too. He said the exact same thing. SO basically I've come to the conclusion that I'm just gonna try to order these "raw" bowties that are able to be painted, and will actually hold the paint a lot better than the stock bowtie,online. First question, has anybody had problems with their painted OEM bowties peeling? And the Second question, where can I find these "raw" bowties online? Thanks for the help guys
Old January 20th, 2008, 4:12 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts
Default RE: Bowtie questions

Well I'm not an expert but I painted mine over a year ago and they haven't peeled yet. This is the first I've heard anyone mention this "potential" problem. Also never heard of "raw" bowties. These things are just plastic. Scuff 'em, prep 'em, prime 'em, paint 'em w/ color, paint 'em w/ clear, color sand 'em, buff 'em, and wax. Then reinstall them. So easy a caveman can do it.
Seriously the hardest part is getting the rear one off w/o breaking it.
Old January 20th, 2008, 9:14 PM
CF Active Member

Yeah to get the paint to hold you have to sand the bowties with a low grit paper, no need to order raw bowties (I don't even think they exist). I got a local body shop guy to sand and paint my bowties and they look perfect and I can power wash em without having to worry about anything chipping off or anything.
Old January 21st, 2008, 5:21 PM
CF Active Member

Well this guy is offering to do my bowties for free when he paints my bumpers. So what instructions should I give him? Just sand them down and paint them? Texguykev, I go to A&M, are you a student? And i'm getting this done at Oscar and Sons if you have heard of them. Off of highway 6.
Old January 21st, 2008, 5:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ask him to scuff them and then use an adhesive promoter (type of primer), then prime, paint and clear.
Old January 21st, 2008, 6:17 PM
CF Active Member

Yeah Tpeezy, I'm a grad student at A&M whatyear are youat TAMU?

I have heard good things about oscar and sons but just for the record I got my bowtiesdone through a buddy at Caldwell Country Chevrolet. Did you go to Tom Light to get your bowties painted in the first place? Because I would stay away from them in general. Just my opinion
Old January 22nd, 2008, 1:40 AM
CF Active Member

I'm a Senior Finance major. Applying for grad school actually. Yea i went to Tom Light first. I spoke to a cool guy at the body shop that told me I could get all the work I needed done cheaper somewhere else. So thats when I went to Oscar and sons. How much did they charge you in Caldwell?
Old January 23rd, 2008, 10:50 PM
CF Active Member

Well my buddygot my bowties "warrantied" so I got brand new bowties and then one of the guys in the body shop painted themso....... I got all that done for $50.