Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

brake controller stoplight switch wire HELP

Search this Thread

Old April 21st, 2011, 9:54 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake controller stoplight switch wire HELP

OK I am trying to hook up my brake controller and I push on the brake and nothing happens. SO I hooked up a test light to the brake controller stoplight switch wire and it did not light up. SO where is the fuse located for this? I'm stumped btw it is for a 2008
Old April 21st, 2011, 11:34 PM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

I believe there's a pigtail wire in the main fuse box under the hood that has to be connected to the power buss.
Old April 22nd, 2011, 6:34 AM
CF Beginner

I already hooked up the two wires under the hood. It works if you manual do it but does not activate when the brake is pressed
Old April 24th, 2011, 1:22 PM
e
CF Senior Member

Have you checked the Lt Blue / White wire under the dash to make sure its getting 12v when you press the brake?

This wire is located with the other wires needed for the electric brake. I can't remember if the key needs to be on or not to get the 12v. I know the brake lights outside dont work without the key on.

Do you have brakelights?
Old April 24th, 2011, 5:33 PM
Administrator

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

Brake lights should work thru the normal trailer pigtail, the brake controller only controls the brakes not the stop lamps as I understand it...someone with the controller may be better able to answer after the holiday weekend...
Old April 24th, 2011, 6:27 PM
e
CF Senior Member

yes the brake lights are not controlled through the brake controller harness as in2pro mentioned.

I thought that maybe the LtBlue/White wire that feeds the brake controller could possibly be on the same fuse as the vehicle's taillights as its listed as Stop Lamps and CHMSL, but it is not. I just confirmed this. This is why i asked if he had brakelights, but now thats a mute point due to the fact that the brake feed wire for the controller is not fused with the vehicle stop lamps.

Anyway I also confirmed that the key has to be in the on position to supply the 12v from the brake pedal to activate the brake controller. So test the brake feed for the controller with the ignition on.

The only other thing you can do is starting testing fuses. In the book there is no clear listing for the brake switch feed, that i can see.

What brand Controller?
Old June 27th, 2021, 9:57 PM
CF Beginner

I have a 2008 Suburban and am having the same problem. Looks like your post is from 2011.

Did you find the solution?

Thanks
Dan