Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Brake lights constantly lit on tail lights?

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2008, 1:42 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Brake lights constantly lit on tail lights?

Does the third brake light work properly?
Old May 4th, 2008, 2:25 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes my chmsl still works fine
Old May 4th, 2008, 9:44 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

shawnvw: You're right, I misread what he was saying, but if the CHMSL is out and the brake lites are on, then something isn't right. They must not use a common circuit. Might be a lead for the tech to look at.
Old May 4th, 2008, 9:52 PM
e
CF Senior Member

i just noticed your running the esky taillights.......Are you using a converter?
Are you able to troubleshoot with a multimeter (or worst case a test light)?
Old May 4th, 2008, 10:04 PM
CF Junior Member

I took my esky lights off, this is with my stock Denali lights.
Old May 4th, 2008, 10:31 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Follow my earlier post to diagnose this down a little further. The left,right, and center brake light all have separate outputs from the BCM. If the 3rd light is good, then i am more inclines to think it is either a bad BCM, or a wiring issue where the brake lights are shorted to B+
Old November 20th, 2012, 8:10 PM
CF Beginner

Did you ever find the fix to this issue?

Sorry for asking after all this time but I'm having the exact same problem and I've been trying to fix it for a while now.
Old June 22nd, 2016, 12:41 AM
CF Beginner

Default 2011 suburban with brake lights always on

I have a 2011 Chevy suburban and I had the problem with the lights constantly on. After a little research I found out the brake switch is the usual suspect so I changed it. That did absolutely nothing. Upon closer examination I found one of the 4 wires leading to the brake switch cut at the plug that connects to the switch . Put it back together and it works fine now. It was not easy to troubleshoot because the plug looked normal you need to remove the tape that wraps around the 4 wires leading to the plug and pull the wires one by one to find which one is cut,take apart the plug and re solder the wire back in place.
I hope this helps some of you,it almost drove me nuts trying to find what was the problem.

Last edited by Gr1000k; June 22nd, 2016 at 12:45 AM.
Old February 9th, 2017, 9:31 PM
CF Beginner

Hey Gr1000k....I have the exact same issue in a 2009 Silverado. Just wanted to ask how you took apart the plug. I see no other way but to cut the other 3 wires. Thanks for any help you can send my way. I have been all over the internet looking for an answer and just discovered the broken wire tonight, after 2 brake switches of course.
Old July 20th, 2017, 1:56 PM
CF Beginner

This thread was a big help, but ultimately what was wrong was SO STUPID!! trailer controller is mounted on dog house. And driver had one of those smelly Christmas tree's looped on the slider. JUST ENOUGH to trigger the brake lights. Crazy thing is, we've had allot of fuse boxes cause electrical issues, on GM trucks. So, I ordered a new one, installed it, and of course did not fix the problem.(did what I thought was a thorough diagnostics, beforehand)
Not only did it NOT fix the brake lights, it was only running on like 4 cylinders!! 12 DTC's WTF??? Removed it to check pins, to see if any damaged during installation. All good. Reinstalled the old box and it ran perfect. Then driver came back and said windows would not work. Ugh!!! Pulled window switch to check for power. All Good. Re-installed switch and BINGO, windows all good.
Glad this one is gone...till next time at least.

JT
City Of Winter Park Fleet Maint.

Quick Reply: Brake lights constantly lit on tail lights?