Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Brake lights constantly lit on tail lights?

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2018, 9:39 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone figure this out as I came home last night with my wife' truck doing this exact thing
Old May 10th, 2018, 10:27 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I followed a pickup this morning (GM) that the 3rd brake light was flashing with the right turn signal. It was confusing as ____. lol
Old May 3rd, 2020, 3:00 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Gr1000k
I have a 2011 Chevy suburban and I had the problem with the lights constantly on. After a little research I found out the brake switch is the usual suspect so I changed it. That did absolutely nothing. Upon closer examination I found one of the 4 wires leading to the brake switch cut at the plug that connects to the switch . Put it back together and it works fine now. It was not easy to troubleshoot because the plug looked normal you need to remove the tape that wraps around the 4 wires leading to the plug and pull the wires one by one to find which one is cut,take apart the plug and re solder the wire back in place.
I hope this helps some of you,it almost drove me nuts trying to find what was the problem.
So, this is my first time putting anything on here. I have/ had the same issue. I took what you guys said here and messed with the plug. Peeled back a bunch of the tape and found nothing. I pulled at some of the wires and found one of them a little loose in the plug head. Plugged it back in and lights went out. And they still work when brake pedal accuates. Also, its my wife's 09 Suburban. Hope this fix stays! Thanks for the info here!
Old October 27th, 2022, 4:58 PM
CF Beginner

I bought my 07 Suburban LT a few months back and didn't noticed it was missing the top bulbs on the taillights, I have the same issue with the brake light staying on only on the taillight, third light on top of tailgate works as it should, took it to the dealer and they told me it was the engine compartment fuse box, and of course they charged me almost $400 just to tell me that, so I bought a new one and replace it myself, and still the same, I tried everything you guys suggested and the only was they turn off is either by unplugging the fuse at the side of the dashboard or unplugging the connector at the BCM, by the way, the light bulb has two filaments, brake light and parking light and they both stay on, would it be fair to say is the BCM? thanks in advance.
Old October 31st, 2022, 7:21 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 163 Likes on 152 Posts

Bad grounds will do the same as both filaments can light up through feedback from a poor ground.
Poor grounds are the most common problem.
Old November 1st, 2022, 12:00 PM
CF Beginner

By any chance anybody has a wiring color chart to able to follow the ground wire from the tail light to the BCM before I attempt to replace the BCM? thanks
Old November 2nd, 2022, 6:49 PM
CF Active Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Noesito73
By any chance anybody has a wiring color chart to able to follow the ground wire from the tail light to the BCM before I attempt to replace the BCM? thanks
I agree on the bad grounds, they can cause the weirdest symptoms.
According to my 2011 manuals the ground wires (black) for the tail lights go to the left frame rail, behind the left rear tire. Look on the left side of the frame. Good luck
The following users liked this post:
Noesito73 (November 3rd, 2022)
Old November 16th, 2022, 8:52 AM
CF Beginner

I checked the ground cables coming from both tail lights and everything is ok, also based on the way they are wired I hardly think that could be the issue, I followed the ground cable from the frame up to the taillights and the same cable works for every other bulb, comes in on the first one and back out to the next until the last one on top which is the one I have issues with and also there are separate grounds for each side which also eliminates my issue since this problem is on both sides, so at this point does anybody think it should be safe to replace the BCM ?
Old November 17th, 2022, 6:04 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 163 Likes on 152 Posts

Use an electronics cleaner / lubricant in the BCM connectors first. Fretting corrosion in GM connectors is common before replacing a BCM. BCM most likely will need programming.
Old November 17th, 2022, 8:00 AM
CF Active Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Noesito73
I have the same issue with the brake light staying on only on the taillight, third light on top of tailgate works as it should,.... the only was they turn off is either by unplugging the fuse at the side of the dashboard or unplugging the connector at the BCM, by the way, the light bulb has two filaments, brake light and parking light and they both stay on, would it be fair to say is the BCM? thanks in advance.
Which fuse are you removing to get the lights turned OFF ?
Do the lights stay on when the headlights are turned OFF?
What happens when you unplug the PRK LAMP relay in the underhood fuse block?

Quick Reply: Brake lights constantly lit on tail lights?