Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

brakes

Search this Thread

Old September 23rd, 2009, 11:55 PM
dre
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool brakes

hey guys..........whats up...........I am looking to change my brakes on my 2007 tahoe......any suggestions? I am looking for a good set of brake pads but not to expensive.
Old September 24th, 2009, 2:32 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used the Wagner Thermo-Quiet ceramic pads. I also replaced the warped OEM rotors with Wagner rotors. I can't say much about them. They warped like the OEM's did. I'd check with a place like Tire Rack, and get a good rotor like the Power Slot, about $140 each.

WARNING! Changing the pads is a cinch; 2 bolts and the caliper is off. You can do both sides in less than 30 minutes. Removing the caliper bracket to get the rotor off was another story. The bolts hold ing the bracket from frozen solid. Plan on BIG hand tools or better, air tools. Those 2 bolts were a bear. I'd also use a hex socket, not a 12 point socket. If you do, you risk rounding off the corners. A six-sided socket will grip better.

Last edited by Hardin Thicke; September 24th, 2009 at 2:34 PM.
Old September 24th, 2009, 6:21 PM
CF Active Member

Default brakes suck

the brakes on chevy's have been a problem for along time now they are under rated for the applications and the low cost budget parts will not hold up to the extra heat . pads wear faster rotors warp easily keeping this in mind and what kind of dutys your truck has to do you have to use the "you get what you pay for" mentality into the picture ya i knowit sucks and not cheap either but you will save money in the long run just by not replacing trashed parts if you put medium to low cost components on these trucks you will suffer for it unfortunant but proven true . i agree with thick power slots are good so are napa premiums top of the line,as far as rotors hawk makes some good brakes napa's top ceramic pretty good heard pretty good things about the thermo quiets by wagner but not till now anything on the rotors pull up summit raceing they have all the top brands and you can get a pretty good idea pricewise and make a choice i farted around for a while and went through alot of cheap set ups before giving in and buying what was needed
Old September 24th, 2009, 9:35 PM
dre
CF Junior Member

thanks 4 the info guys.............has any tried the ebc brand.......red green or yellow stuff brake pads
Old September 25th, 2009, 8:01 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried the EBC slotted and drilled rotors along with the green stuff pads. Seemed to work well with minimal dust. Good prices at perfectbtakes.com.
Tom
Old September 25th, 2009, 11:03 PM
dre
CF Junior Member

thanks alot
Old September 27th, 2009, 7:22 AM
CF Active Member

Default More on brakes

Here are some you can kick around as for top rate brake components
rotors that seem to hold up and cure heat and warping problems... power slot,EBC Slotted and drilled, baer decelorotors ,SSBC and napa ultra premiums are up there as good performers.
Pads ,have heard alot of good about Hawk LTS AND hp ceramic,Greenstuff (minimal brakedust) yellowstuff an h.p. pad a little pricey, Napa ultra premiums.
stainless DOT approved lines by russell or Earl are a good investment and one i woud really consider it limits expantion during heavy or strong sudden braking a weak link and real problem on chevy's
and then if you got money and want the whole package then there is 2 to 6 piston calipers by baer,wilwood ,ssbc.
And an oversized master cylinder.
these are all good solid name brands and models and if money is tight i would start with the rotors and put a soft pad on till you can afford a performance set i also would change both front brakelines to stainless if there is cracking or in bad or old condition,
for a website that has alot of good info on brake systems, tech.info ,and troubleshooting try http://www.brakeandfrontend.com and parts http://www.ssbrakes.com

Last edited by tm4hammer; September 27th, 2009 at 7:35 AM.
Old September 27th, 2009, 11:24 PM
CF Junior Member

Make sure you use synthetic brake lube on the guides, Bleed the lines and tighten the lugs to the right torque. That should cure the warping of the rotors. I have drilled and slotted rotors with the thermo quiets from wagner. A little over 1 year with no problems. Hope this helps.