Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Broken Exterior Door Handles

Search this Thread

Old November 7th, 2013 | 7:34 AM
CF Beginner

I would like to hear from GM customer service on this as well! My wife's 2008 Tahoe LTZ did the same thing. Our passenger exterior door handle came loose and I don't feel comfortable taking the panel off to fix myself.
Old November 7th, 2013 | 11:06 AM
Official GM Rep

JBaker1,

We can look further into this for you and your wife. Please private message me your name, VIN, phone number, and dealership. I look forward to hearing from you.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old January 31st, 2014 | 1:54 PM
CF Beginner

I have a 2011 Chevy Tahoe LTZ and the passenger front door handle broke. I'm at the dealership which wants to charge me over $100 to have it repaired. It's unbelievable that this issue has not been addressed by GM! I don't agree I am required to pay given its a pretty common issue that's been going on for several years and multiple times to each owner. Please help. Thank you
Old February 1st, 2014 | 6:13 PM
CF Beginner

I feel your pain. I have an avalanche LTZ with the chrome handles.
2 of my handles broke when the vehicle was still in warranty.
They fixed them but refused to replace the other 2.
Since the warranty expired, the other 2 handles broke.
No help from GM. I checked out a you tube clip on how to replace it
And ordered the parts. It wasn't hard. Took about 30 minutes for each
I tried to get GM to recall the handles. Nothing doing.
Good Luck.
Old February 4th, 2014 | 12:53 PM
CF Beginner

Default Add another to the list

I am both glad I found this list and annoyed that these common problems are being either blatently tuned down or ignored by the dealers.

Yesterday the drivers front door handle on my 2007 Tahoe LTZ completely failed and pulled away from the door. As far as I was aware, neither screw hole was previously broken. The bolt closes to the front, had the typical webbing failure when the entire boss cracks off. The one toward the rear, the metal insert used to secure the screw in the plastic pulled clean out. Unfortunately my truck is no longer under warranty so I guess I will be springing for this repair from my own pocket.

To address another issue, I saw a post back a couple of pages where it appeared like gentleman who posted it took the list directly from the issues I have with my truck.

-Passenger's mirror does return to position after tilting when in reverse.
-Cracked dashboard
-Light sensor in dashboard does not function correctly (has not worked correctly since the first day I owned the vehicle)
-Razor sharp chrome peeling off of interior door handles
-Paint peeling off the steering wheel (started within a couple of months of taking delivery)
-Water accumulation inside all doors (gallons of water have been drained out multiple times)
-Now door handles beginning to break away.

All issues were reported to the various dealers where I had the vehicle serviced, both when new and during my ownership. Each and every time I was told that the issue was a non warranty issue and if I wanted it fixed, I would have to pay out of pocket, or in the case of the light sensor, the dealer denied being able to duplicate the issue even after I gave them very specific instructions on how to reproduce the problem.

This is my 2nd new Tahoe, and very likely will be my last GM vehicle unless somebody at GM steps up to the plate. I its pretty infuriating that you can pay $55K+ for a vehicle and have simple quality issues like this come up over and over.

-Greg
Old March 2nd, 2014 | 7:57 PM
CF Beginner

I've had to replace 5 door handles (and I have another one right now that needs to be replaced) on my 2008 Tahoe LTZ and I've had enough!! It's truly a shame that GM has not decided these are manufactures defects. I've owned A LOT of cars in my lifetime and this is the ONLY one I've had a handle break. We have three other Chevy's in my family, but it may be time to purchase something else.
Old March 3rd, 2014 | 10:56 AM
Administrator

sharri28 Welcome to the forum...
Were any of the handles replaced under warranty?
Old March 3rd, 2014 | 12:45 PM
CF Senior Member

Just had to replace my drivers door handle last week. I'm not as upset as most of you are. Being that I purchased the vehicle used. The handle cost me $19 shipped. It is a chrome ltz handle. And I did the work myself. Not very hard at all. There are instructional videos online. But I can definitely understand your frustrations. Especially when the dealer wants $100 a clip! The problem is its metal bolted to plastic. Gm should've definitely had a better idea than that. You don't hear of Toyota handles coming off in your hand. Especially with a vehicle that is so expensive new.
Old March 4th, 2014 | 2:51 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by trainwreck91
Just had to replace my drivers door handle last week. I'm not as upset as most of you are. Being that I purchased the vehicle used. The handle cost me $19 shipped. It is a chrome ltz handle. And I did the work myself. Not very hard at all. There are instructional videos online. But I can definitely understand your frustrations. Especially when the dealer wants $100 a clip! The problem is its metal bolted to plastic. Gm should've definitely had a better idea than that. You don't hear of Toyota handles coming off in your hand. Especially with a vehicle that is so expensive new.

I owned cars from 1984 and been driving since. I can tell you that in those 20 years, I have never had this type of problems except with Tahoe.
Cars I used during these times are Nissan, Mazda, old Mercedes, VW Touareq and finally Tahoe 2009. Only Tahoe 2009 had these problems. My brother just bought a 2013 Tahoe and I just told him to be ready to replace the door handles when they come off. It will happen and I can see that.
Old March 5th, 2014 | 9:40 PM
CF Beginner

I have a 2009 extended cab. Handle #3 (chrome) just failed. This is two failures now on the passenger door, and one on the drivers' side.

Has GM issued a redesigned handle? If so, I'd appreciate a part # so I don't buy a trash handle again. Are there after market handles available that are better than the OEM??

Quick Reply: Broken Exterior Door Handles