Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Broken Exterior Door Handles

Search this Thread

Old March 14th, 2014 | 12:10 PM
CF Beginner

Default Process is started....

Just spoke with Morgan & Morgan.....they just might be interested in a class-action!

I wonder why the Chevrolet Customer Care folks, who always chime in after negative posts about these POS door handles on this thread, haven't replied to me yet?!
Old March 17th, 2014 | 7:32 AM
CF Addict

Originally Posted by phatcad66
Just spoke with Morgan & Morgan.....they just might be interested in a class-action!

I wonder why the Chevrolet Customer Care folks, who always chime in after negative posts about these POS door handles on this thread, haven't replied to me yet?!
I'd join if they expand the issues to more than door handles.. although I also have one replaced under 'good faith' or something... i was out of the 50,000 mile warranty, but since mine is garage kept and in flawless condition, when the door handle started to bubble and rot from the inside, I knew it wasn't my fault that this POS was falling apart...

ohh, and the forum customer people are hilarious, I'm fairly sure it's some 12 year old in India actually doing the posts.
Old March 17th, 2014 | 1:56 PM
CF Beginner

Talking

Originally Posted by SabrToothSqrl
I'd join if they expand the issues to more than door handles.. although I also have one replaced under 'good faith' or something... i was out of the 50,000 mile warranty, but since mine is garage kept and in flawless condition, when the door handle started to bubble and rot from the inside, I knew it wasn't my fault that this POS was falling apart...

ohh, and the forum customer people are hilarious, I'm fairly sure it's some 12 year old in India actually doing the posts.

LOL!!! I'm thinking a 12 year-old in India could have done more about this issue than the "assistance" I've received from GM or the dealer!
Old March 18th, 2014 | 8:38 AM
CF Addict

Default forum 12 year old outsourcing...

you are right. My favorite was when they were bragging about the new hard drive based head-unit in the Tahoe that can store / play MP3s from it... in 2014... Then I posted a link to how Chrysler did that... in 2006!

Way to copy 8 year old tech! (maybe it wasn't 06, but it's still old) and they beat you to it by a LONG time. so long in fact that it's kind of old school at this point...

so, yea, you are right... maybe it's more like a 2 year old... as any 12 year old would know more about head-units and tech than all of GM put together.
Old April 1st, 2014 | 7:41 AM
08 chevy suburban unhappy owner's Avatar
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by phatcad66
Anyone interested in joining me for a class-action lawsuit against GM about this door handle issue? I've begun the process with several well known firms who specialize in class-actions suits. All provide free case evaluations, and I'm sure, with the scope of potential affected people here, they just might be interested?

I'm not asking for some outrageous money here, I just refuse to pay a dime for defective parts. This problem started when my vehicle was one year old and has steadily continued to plague me ever since. I know my truck is 6 years old now and out of warranty (as they're always quick to add in) but this is ridiculous! CLEARLY A DEFECTIVE PART THAT GM HAS KNOWN ABOUT FOR MANY, MANY YEARS!

I'm not going to spend a bunch of time, and I'm certainly not going to pay something to an attorney for this, but if a class-action attorney wants to take this (knowing they'll make money if it does move forward) than I'm up for it! I'm just not paying for these crappy handles!
Hello, yes I'm interested in joining class action suit. I have 2 rear passenger broken handles, 2008 chevy suburban, I've not been happy with chevy since I bought my car new. We have 3 other Chevys in family, this is first one with problem with door handles. These handle are chrome look/plastic, of course they broke. Come on people , let's get this rolling!!
Old June 26th, 2014 | 10:04 PM
CF Beginner

Angry 2011 Door Handles

My 2011 Silverado Crewcab 5.3L LT with chrome handles had an outside rear driver side door failure...plastic piece broke and the door handle would pull away from the body. It was repaired under warranty and the dealer said it happens a lot. Fast forward one year and my factory warranty ran out May 30, 2014...sooo, today my front passenger chrome handle broke in the same manner!!!! The vehicle has only 14,000 miles and broke with a simple (i.e. normal) opening. I had also bought a new 2003 Corvette convertible from the dealer but it's a no-go on a free fix....several hundred dollars. This is, unfortunately, my last GM purchase.
Old June 26th, 2014 | 10:11 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by floridafisherman11
My 2011 Silverado Crewcab 5.3L LT with chrome handles had an outside rear driver side door failure...plastic piece broke and the door handle would pull away from the body. It was repaired under warranty and the dealer said it happens a lot. Fast forward one year and my factory warranty ran out May 30, 2014...sooo, today my front passenger chrome handle broke in the same manner!!!! The vehicle has only 14,000 miles and broke with a simple (i.e. normal) opening. I had also bought a new 2003 Corvette convertible from the dealer but it's a no-go on a free fix....several hundred dollars. This is, unfortunately, my last GM purchase.
Looks like you didn't get an extended warranty???

So how hard is the fix???
Old June 27th, 2014 | 6:47 AM
CF Beginner

Default Door Handle

No extended warranty-they are expensive for consumers and HUGELY profitable for the retailer (that's why everyone from auto dealers to general retailers push them so hard). Anyways, the part is about $100 online and IF one is mechanically inclined it is maybe an hour to completely remove the entire inside door panel. However the point being that this should not be an issue in the first place....quality control is GM's responsibility not that of the consumer who doesn't expect door handles to break.
Old June 27th, 2014 | 7:27 AM
Official GM Rep

Originally Posted by floridafisherman11
Hey there,

I can definitely look into this further for you. I apologize that this happened again with your Silverado. Feel free to send me a PM with your VIN and any other info you would like to share, and I will document this further and get in touch with your preferred dealership.

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old June 27th, 2014 | 9:13 AM
CF Addict

Default PM

We don't want a PM, we want a class action.

GM, please stop killing people...

please?

Docs Show Current GM VP Aware Of Ignition Problem In 2005; Federal Grand Jury Probing Recall Delay

Quick Reply: Broken Exterior Door Handles