Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Broken Exterior Door Handles

Search this Thread

Old August 6th, 2014 | 12:51 PM
CF Beginner

Default Any word on Class Action

I have an 08 Tahoe LTZ that I bought new. This vehicle is used only by my wife and myself, we have no at home childrern and rarely use either back door. All door handles have been replaced at least once under warranty. Since warranty expired I have replaced driver rear again myself and have now ordered driver side front and rear which are both now broken again. Dasically the cheap plastic breaks or strips where the mounting bolts attach. At what point will GM decide the TSB isn't enough, that there needs to be a permanent fix a recall. Cost and labor time aside, I am just getting tired of replacing these every few months. I have seen talk here on this forum regarding a class action suit.. if one is started let me know.... I am in!
Old August 7th, 2014 | 6:07 AM
CF Beginner

At this point I have given up waiting and hoping that GM will address this issue.

GM knew they had a safety related ignition switch problem on millions of cars but did nothing about it, what do you think the chances are they will care about our broken door handles?

So far, I have been successful with the JB Weld fix for my broken drivers door handle. It has survived the better part of this last winter and up to the current point with no indication of impending failure.

My recommendation would be when your next handle breaks, buy a new one and reenforce the mounting hole location with JB Weld before you install it. I would suspect that would be the last time you have to replace that handle.
Old August 7th, 2014 | 8:25 AM
Administrator

Make sure to shorten the retaining screw a bit, as I recall the cause of the breakage was the use of a too long a screw....
Old September 9th, 2014 | 2:34 PM
CF Beginner

Default Broken Door Handles

Both driver and passenger handles broke. $60,000 truck with 40,000 miles, just out of warranty and dealer charging $520 to replace. He tells me the replacement parts are no better. You think you are buying a top of the line vehicle and then you find out it just a cheap made piece of crap. I was planning to replace my wife's 2000 Tahoe this year, but it appears that the new ones have the same cheap made parts. I guess I will have to look at another brand to get quality made vehicles. So sad, I have been a General Motors fan all my life and have owned at least 10 of them. It appears GM doesn't really care wither you own one or not.
Old October 30th, 2014 | 10:24 AM
CF Beginner

Angry 2008 Sierra Denali

I've had to repair and replace the exterior door handles on my truck several times. I am not impressed with the quality of the product! The process is easy enough and after making the mistake of buying the replacements from GMC I have started gluing them back together. I just found all four handles for $99 on Amazon and thinking of trying them.
It only requires a couple of tools and a little tender care to fix them. You would think for the price of the vehicle GMC would have done a better job. Guess I will look at Ford when I buy my next truck.
Old November 2nd, 2014 | 12:41 PM
CF Beginner

Default My brother's experience

Few months ago, my brother decided to buy a new 2014 Tahoe. I was happy for him and since I had the experience of going through 4 broken door handles, I wanted to warn him not to be surprised when the door handle comes off. but I assured him that it usually happens after over a year or so. Last week he came to visit me after he replaced the driver side door handle. I was laughing and told him although I was expecting this happen, but didn't think it will happen within less than a year. At least I managed his expectation.
The surprising thing was about the Dealer reaction, at first they said this is not covered under warranty and its because of him pulling the door handle very hard. But my brother is a fighter and he managed to make then cover it under vehicle warranty.
I can see that 2015 models have gone through a complete facelift and the door handles are different now.

Surprising that it took them only 7 years to realise it.
I mentioned in my earlier post, that this will be my last Chevy I will ever buy, and I have kept my promise. I am now a happy owner of a completely different brand.
They just lost a 15 year chevy loyal customer with three consecutive Tahoes.

Last edited by latif99; November 2nd, 2014 at 12:43 PM.
Old November 26th, 2014 | 7:20 AM
CF Beginner

Default Broken Exterior Rear Passenger Door Handle

I would like to hear from GM customer service on this as well! My wife's 2008 Suburban LTZ did the same thing. We have both issues of the door handle that has come off as well as the razor blade cutting issue with the chrome on the interior handle. It seems from all the messages posted that this is a well documented issue. Our vehicle is at the dealership right now and they want $185.00 to repair this broken handle. Can someone from Customer Service assist me with this?
Old November 26th, 2014 | 9:21 AM
CF Addict

Default outside handles

I'm shocked mine haven't failed. However 2 of the 4 the 'chrome' was starting to bubble.

on a vehicle 3 years old (at the time) AND GARAGE KEPT.

I have a 25 year old boat that's held up 10,000x better than that.
Old November 26th, 2014 | 1:07 PM
Official GM Rep

Originally Posted by Chevydoorhandleguy
I would like to hear from GM customer service on this as well! My wife's 2008 Suburban LTZ did the same thing. We have both issues of the door handle that has come off as well as the razor blade cutting issue with the chrome on the interior handle. It seems from all the messages posted that this is a well documented issue. Our vehicle is at the dealership right now and they want $185.00 to repair this broken handle. Can someone from Customer Service assist me with this?
Hi there,

We apologize for these concerns, and we would be happy to look into this further. Please send a private message our way and include your VIN, current mileage, contact information and the preferred dealership you have been working with. Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old December 10th, 2014 | 3:55 PM
CF Beginner

Default Door handles

I've had several Chevrolet's, seems to be a common issue. The rear door handle broke on my wife's 2010 Tahoe yesterday, our local dealer wants $265 to replace the handle. That's crazy. But its a common problem i guess with Chevrolet, as i have an 81 Z/28 which also has the chrome door handles on it. and in the 10 years i have owned it i have replaced the drivers door handle 4 times, and the passenger door handle twice. but back to the Tahoe i have yet to get anywhere with the service department.

Quick Reply: Broken Exterior Door Handles