Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Broken Exterior Door Handles

Search this Thread

Old July 2nd, 2015 | 12:53 PM
Official GM Rep

Originally Posted by phatcad66
....number five door handle now broken, driver's side front.....geez GM, really?! If I can't trust that you build a sturdy door handle, what's the quality like for the rest of the truck?

Massively disappointed with my 2008 Av, this thing's had so many quality problems and has cost me so much money in repairs....I just won't be able to ever buy another GM product again. Three handles at, on average $180 repaired at the stealership, two handles repaired with $29 Amazon handle and about an hour of my time each incident, two door-lock actuators, rear main leak at 3K miles (trans had to be pulled..), two park-assist sensors (these things are total POS!) on average $380 each time to get fixed at the stealership, starter issues (bendix not releasing from flywheel - still need to have this addressed - I'm sure will cost an arm and a leg to get fixed at the stealership), side mirrors moving on their own, massive lifter tick upon start up.......

Chevrolet Customer Care, if there's anything you feel you can do, please PM me......
Hello phatcaddy66,

Any displeasure caused by this situation is understandable, and we're very sorry for the inconvenience you've experienced with your vehicle! I just sent you a private message and I am looking forward to working with you to get this issue resolved.

I hope to hear from you soon,

Jasmine F
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old July 3rd, 2015 | 4:39 PM
CF Beginner

Hi. My 2011 Silverado Crewcab LT had one door handle at a time "pop" loose. Did not break off and still opened the door but one of the plastic inserts that the screw was attached to broke so the handle would jiggle loosely from the door. The first and second were fixed under warranty without question but the dealer said the chrome handles were most often likely to break. The third broke 3 months after warranty. I replaced myself but not for the inexperienced and the handle was $100+. The fourth one really got me angry. The dealership said "sorry" so I called GM. It took 5 follow-up calls and the best GM offered was to "share" the cost. After some gentle insistence (I was nice) the dealership covered the whole cost. It would seem the new handles are holding up but extremely sad that GM behaves this way. Oh, and the GM folks didn't care that I had also bought a new Corvette convertible in 2005.

Last edited by floridafisherman11; July 3rd, 2015 at 4:42 PM.
Old August 2nd, 2015 | 6:02 PM
CF Beginner

Default 09 silverado door loose at about 40,000 miles

I went to the dealership before my five year warranty expired, about a year
ago, for the loose drivers side door handle. That part of the warranty had already expired-only 3 years. Now a year later with less than 52000 miles it had almost come off. But really, apparently I don't abuse the handle if it was loose and stayed on for a year. Then yesterday one of the back door handles got loose- now that is a problem! It's rarely used!! GM HAS THE PROBLEM- THEY SHOULD FIX IT! I'm looking at $200 per door- I'll go back to TOYOTA- my old one w/ 165000 has never had a problem inside or outside!
Old August 4th, 2015 | 10:02 AM
CF Beginner

I went couple of days ago to look at the 2015 Tahoe models, The first thing I checked was these door handles and other than the color which is not chrome anymore, I cant tell if they have done something about it. Upon inspecting it closely, I tried pushing it up and down and it seems like it was loose and with some force, I am sure that I can break it. Did anyone have failures with 2015 or 2016 models if they are already out.
Mine is 2009 model, and maintenance is becoming more expensive, the 180K Kilometers service (110K miles) cost me almost USD$3,000 and a month later I spent another USD400 for fixing different problems.
So it looks like its time for a new car but I might not go for a Tahoe if it still has the same problem.
Old August 6th, 2015 | 9:29 PM
CF Junior Member

My passenger side rear exterior door handle broke over the weekend. Afterwards I found this thread. I figured, well at least I made it to 144k miles before one of the handles broke.

I just replaced it. I'm pretty sure this isn't the first time it was replaced. The door panel tabs came off a little too easily and the water shield was clearly previously peeled back. If I'm right, it's pretty ridiculous that these doors are as flimsy as they are. I understand that Chevy is trying to keep their cost down by using these plastic handles but if these things break as often as they do to require a TSB, why not go with a tougher material? At least it was a cheap part ($30) and a simple DIY fix.
Old August 20th, 2015 | 11:11 AM
CF Junior Member

Once again another one of my door handles broke. I contacted cheverolet customer service via PM on here yesterday with no response.
Old September 7th, 2015 | 11:28 AM
CF Beginner

Louis I have the same problem with 2011 GMC Sierra, my driver side door handle. My Vin # 1GTR1VE06BZ206965 and I bought my Truck at Crawford GMC El Paso Texas.

Thank you
Old September 10th, 2015 | 6:10 AM
CF Beginner

Default More frustration!

I now have 3 broken exterior door handles on my '09 Suburban. The two rear passenger door handles have been annoying, but now the driver door handle won't work. I have injured my knee, so getting into my car and climbing around like my kids do isn't an option. My local dealership hasn't been helpful on any of the myriad problems with this car, so I'm dreading calling them again.

I noticed that many of the posts on this thread are a few years old. Has anyone been through this experience lately?
Old September 16th, 2015 | 9:36 AM
CF Junior Member

What years have these suspect door handles?

I have an '03 Yukon Denali and I don't think it has the type of handles that are breaking, but I don't know for sure. So far so good. It looks like it's some of the newer years that are bad, correct?
Old September 18th, 2015 | 2:47 PM
Administrator

I believe it only applies to the GMT900 2007-2014 body styles....

Quick Reply: Broken Exterior Door Handles