Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Broken Exterior Door Handles

Search this Thread

Old September 19th, 2015 | 11:18 AM
CF Beginner

Angry

It only took them 7 years to fix the problem until 2015 models.
Old October 23rd, 2015 | 10:00 AM
CF Beginner

Default 2011 Tahoe LTZ Door handles and door locks

My 2011 Tahoe LTZ that I bought new hasn't held up like my last Yukon did. Frankly I take very good care of my cars and this morning my passenger door handle came off in my sons hand when he went to open it. My drivers side door handle is jiggling so I guess I can expect the same for that one. In addition my door locks on the driver side are both not working and my front passenger seat motor works however it is stuck in a forward position and won't recline! What is going on? I take very good care of my cars and now don't have a seat, a handle or two locks! This is clearly the most expensive car I have bought new at over 50k, even with buying my last 07 Yukon new prior to this one. Chevy and GM have lost me as a future client.
Old November 24th, 2015 | 6:27 PM
CF Beginner

I have a 2010 Sub LTZ. A 65k truck new and I cannot understand why GM refuses to address this issue. I have 2 broken door handle and a inside handle that cuts fingers like a razor. Took it to the dealership where they want to charge over 350.00 to fix when GM should be doing it free of charge since they know this has been a long standing problem. Or does someone need to die for GM to do the right thing?
Old December 8th, 2015 | 7:39 AM
CF Beginner

I just bought a 2011 Silverado (yes I realize this is a suburban/tahoe thread) I have only had it since last Friday and the drivers door handle just popped loose this morning. It has 59,000 miles and only has the powertrain warranty remaining I believe. Any advice besides handing over hundreds of dollars to a dealership?

I also bought it from a non GM dealer so I doubt they will be much help.
Old December 8th, 2015 | 8:27 AM
CF Junior Member

It's a relatively easy and inexpensive DIY repair. 1AAuto has a video specifically for your truck.

When ordering the part, make sure you match up the year and passenger vs driver side, as well as front or rear.

All in, it cost me under 30 bucks. That includes the part and a plastic trim tool set from Harbor Freight.

Good luck
Old February 22nd, 2016 | 10:15 AM
CF Beginner

Default Broken exterior door handles

Originally Posted by in2pro
Welcome to the forum...
the outside handles are not near as common as some other issues... did the handle just pull out or is it broken? it could be an issue of the cold weather causing things to shrink up....
I think someone had just posted a similar issue in the forum a month or so back so a search might give some more info... but as the day goes on others with start to chime in....
The same thing just happened to me today. The doorhandles are still operational, however, the whole assembly started to separate from the door. It will be just a matter of time before the whole handle assembly comes completely off after continued use. For an over $60,000 truck which I bought brand-new in 2011, this is the last thing I would expect. I think there is a problem here especially if I am not the only one experiencing it. I doubt that The manufacturer would even fix it because it sounds so minor compared to other problems and the warranty is already out of date. It is just sad that you pay so much money expecting quality and you get something like this.
Old April 14th, 2016 | 3:02 PM
CF Beginner

Old May 19th, 2016 | 10:17 AM
CF Beginner

Default DIY fixes

Another great site to check for reasonably priced replacement parts for DIY fixes is Cheapest GM Parts - Shop the Cheapest OEM GM Parts. They have great prices and a ton of stock.
Old July 6th, 2016 | 7:13 AM
Former Sponsor

Hi all,

Hopefully most have heard of Gruvenparts.com

We have solved the door lock actuators issue on these great trucks, as well as the folding mirror gear issue too.

Im looking for a new GM project - can this 1 be it ? If you want to help us, we'll provide FREE test samples of the improved design for your evaluation. Its obvious GM isnt going to fix this, and replacement handles also made the same way will just keep breaking over and over again. Perhaps its time we look at this issue closely and figure out how to design a fix.

If you want to help, please email me - paul@gruvenparts.com

I will need detailed pics and sample parts to evaluate how we can redesign this door handle from a better material.

Thanks and Im looking forward to working this project. Also, if you have other ideas for GM products we can look at, please let me know ! We are trying to add many more GM products to make these otherwise great trucks more durable !
Old July 19th, 2016 | 9:56 AM
Former Sponsor

any takers on this idea ?

Quick Reply: Broken Exterior Door Handles