Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Broken Exterior Door Handles

Search this Thread

Old August 25th, 2012, 3:04 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update

New Update.

Just got a call from dealer and the new steering wheel is in.
And a car will be provided because they have to replace 3 more door handles.
Things at this time appear to be going well.
Lee

We went to dealers this Fri. afternoon 8/25/12 to pick up Tahoe finished or not.
They had replaced the low oil sensor, some other sensor that gives a mesaage abot stability control.
They are going to be replacing the steering wheel that just has the paint falling off for some reason.

Last edited by staggerlee; August 28th, 2012 at 3:36 PM. Reason: New Update
Old August 28th, 2012, 12:04 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Maria Floyd
I have a 2007 Silverado both rear doorhandles have pulled off.. not under warranty and dealer wants $100 per door to fix.. the dash is also cracked in two places, rear tailgate handle is broken.. I've had the engine replaced.. paint peeling off steering wheel......WTH am I going to have to fix next... I paid cash.. come on really GM..
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Maria Floyd,

Have you contacted Customer Service regarding these issues? If so, would you please provide the SR# for your case, so I may look into this further?

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old August 28th, 2012, 3:55 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by in2pro
2007 Chevrolet Chevy Suburban - 2WD | Avalanche, Escalade, Suburban, Tahoe, Yukon (VIN C/K) Service Manual |
Document ID: 1741469
Front Side Door Water Deflector Replacement
Callout Component Name
Preliminary Procedure
Remove the door trim panel. Refer to Front Side Door Trim Panel Replacement .
Front Side Door Water Deflector
Tip
1. Use a flat-bladed tool to separate the bond between the sealer and the door.
2. Use waterproof tape, or 3M 777 or equivalent, if the water deflector is
damaged.
3. It will be necessary to replace trim panel retaining clips, if broken.
4. Before replacing the water deflector clean the door adhesive area, using a
50/50 mix of isopropyl alcohol or equivalent.
© 2012 General Motors Corporation. All rights reserved.
Document ID: 1741469 Page 1 of 1
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++

Is this "flat blade tool" a screwdriver?
And what is the other 50% supposed to be with the alcohol?
Would naphtha work as well, just plain old lighter fluid?
Thanks,
Lee

Last edited by staggerlee; August 28th, 2012 at 3:56 PM. Reason: spelling
Old September 11th, 2012, 12:37 PM
CF Beginner

Default Another Broken Eterior Door handles

Three months after changing the drver side door handle, today, the passenger side exterior door handle broke. As usual, took it to the dealer and since its out of warranty, its not covered. Its wil cost me around $200 for parts and labor. So far I spent $400 dollars for fixing door handles and still Chevrolet cannot admit that its a manufacture defect.
This will be the last time I buy Chevy. So far, I owned 3 Tahoes, it seems newer models comes with more inferior parts.
I joked with the service mechanic, if its in the specifications of Chevy that door handles has tobe changed every couple of years? maybe thats how they got ISO certifications?
Picture is attached
Attached Thumbnails Broken Exterior Door Handles-tahoe_door_handle1.jpg  

Last edited by latif99; September 11th, 2012 at 1:10 PM.
Old September 12th, 2012, 12:01 PM
CF Beginner

Default Defective door handles on Chevy Tahoes

They wouldn't cover mine when my Tahoe was under warrenty either so don't count on it if your truck is still under warrenty.

It is time for Tahoe to step up to the plate and pay back for all the money Chevy owners have had to pay out for these defective door handles. They need to change their design now and then pay to repair
all the handles that are or have been
broken.

It is very easy to see the defect and how easy it would be to fix in the first place but how hard it is to fix after the fact.
Old September 12th, 2012, 3:22 PM
CF Beginner

Very common!! I have replace 2 front driver handles and 1 rear handle. It very cheap plastic. Avoid chrome hanldles!
Old September 12th, 2012, 3:27 PM
CF Beginner

Default Door Handles

What also breaks easily is the inside door handles cable! I replaced twice already!!!
Old September 14th, 2012, 2:47 AM
CF Beginner

I got my car back yesteday with replaced Door Handle. Although I tried my way to waive the fees, they did not agree. I aksed the service tech for a report on how many door handles are replaced as a statistics just to show the trend, but as expected, they didnt agree to give it.
I have a genuine question, Why are these parts called Chrome, when they are actually cheap plastics and just painted with Chrome.
If I have a plastic part and paint it in Gold, can I call this GOLD door handles? When I hear Chrome, I always have a picture in my mind about Chrome steele bumpers that are hard stuff. here we have Cheap Plastic that you can bend by hand with cheap ribbits attaching it to the car. See the picture.. they gave me the replaced part as a souvenir.. it only shows the inferior quality of the part. Oh.. by the way, they also replaced the rear door locks as it works sometimes and fails other times.. I wonder if this is the next thing I have to replace every year or so.
Attached Thumbnails Broken Exterior Door Handles-cheap_door_handles.jpg  
Old September 14th, 2012, 11:03 PM
Administrator

Received 159 Likes on 157 Posts

FYI, you can chrome plate plastic. It's not painted on. It's done by an electro-less process.

An example would be the chrome parts for model cars.
Old September 19th, 2012, 10:42 AM
CF Beginner

Sorry to hear about that. I know how frustrating it can be. I have a set of four black ones I pulled off my 2007 when I replaced them with the chrome finished ones. I can sell you all four for 40.00. I am tired of seeing them in my garage, and since I pulled them off at 18k they are just too good to throw away. Let me know.

Quick Reply: Broken Exterior Door Handles