Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Broken Exterior Door Handles

Search this Thread

Old October 26th, 2012, 3:03 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Be sure to test fit the screws going into the mount holes to make sure they are are not too long... also a dab of removable loctite might be a good idea, just don't over tighten the screw... only tighten enough to pull the handle flush and keep it secure... If instructions are included do follow, esp if a torque spec is included.
Old November 11th, 2012, 9:18 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had my 08 ltz av break one this weekend..has gm customer service helped anyone?
Old November 12th, 2012, 7:33 AM
CF Beginner

Wow.. LTZ? that lasted very long!. actually, GM customer service helped me by giving me a call and asking if the new replaced parts which I paid for are working fine. other than that don't expect anything more!
Old November 12th, 2012, 8:45 AM
CF Junior Member

Its the second or third one to break...this time its the drivers side front door
Old December 11th, 2012, 6:40 PM
CF Beginner

Default Don't waste time going through GM customer service hoops!!

I own a 2008 Chevrolet Suburban LTZ (original sticker price exceeds $58,000). All four original exterior door handles have broken the cheap plastic insert intended to hold the door handle secure. Knowing that this is a problem that is well documented on several auto forums (23,387 views on this forum alone as of 12.11/12), I called GM customer service for support. I was amazed at the number of customer support agents within GM who have no authority to make any useful decisions. After 6 days and talking to 5 different levels of customer service agents, I have information that will help you avoid wasting your time with calling the general GM customer service line. The 4<SUP>th</SUP> person I talked to was Chris – he can be reached at 866.790.5600 EXT:11161 (assuming they don't conveniently change their extensions). I encourage you to call him directly. He will not help resolve your problem, but if you are persistent (after he tells you that he makes the final decision) he will offer to let you talk to his supervisor (Michael). He will not tell you Michael’s last name for security reasons or give you Michaels direct phone number, but he will offer to have him call you back within 24 hours. When Michael calls (his cell number appeared on my phone as 512.386.0875), here is what you will likely hear:
<O</O
Your vehicle is not covered under any special service plan and the best we can do is offer you 10% off the dealer estimate (which was $50 more than a non-GM service center using the original GM parts). When you are not satisfied with this resolution, you can inform him that you want to talk with someone who can make decisions to provide additional support. He will tell you that he is the final decision maker and nothing more will be done for you. The last time I checked, being a customer service agent was far from an executive position. When I asked to speak to an executive with GM, he basically laughed and said that was not possible (funny home my tax dollars used in their bail out was possible). According to Michael, when a certain number of people make the same claim, a review of the reported problem is done by executives and they can issue a special service release to support customers. Let him know that you want your claim number for the file that has been created as a result of your call.<O></O>
Finally, if you have the same pathetic experience I had with GM customer service, DO NOT use the dealer to rip you off by over charging for new exterior door handles. I called my regular mechanic and his estimate was $50 less than the "discounted" rate offered by my friends at GM.
Old December 12th, 2012, 10:17 AM
CF Junior Member

I called GM customer service, ext 41275 and talked to FJ who set me up with my dealer. They replaced my entire dash which had cracked and the broken door handle for $100 bucks. I have to say I was pleased with the help I received.
Old December 14th, 2012, 10:17 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 4x4tx
I called GM customer service, ext 41275 and talked to FJ who set me up with my dealer. They replaced my entire dash which had cracked and the broken door handle for $100 bucks. I have to say I was pleased with the help I received.
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> 4x4tx,

That’s great news! Thank you for sharing your experience!

If you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old February 21st, 2013, 1:15 PM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Default Broken Door Handles on 2008 Suburban

2 broken handles on 2008 Suburban. Anyone gotten any justice from GM about fixing these?
Old February 21st, 2013, 2:04 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by rschnat
2 broken handles on 2008 Suburban. Anyone gotten any justice from GM about fixing these?
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> rschnat,

I’m sorry you are experiencing this issue with your Suburban vehicle. Have you had the vehicle inspected for this issue?

Please feel free to contact me privately with your personal information for additional assistance.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old March 29th, 2013, 4:10 PM
CF Beginner

Default Gm should recall ext door handles

Door handles are coming off after less then 2 years? Boh drivers side door handles have now come off! Dealer insists that GM requires owner participation, so I am spending $100 each for the replacements? Does this sound fair? Instead of buying a new Escalade, we willmost likely try out the new Lincoln's? They take care of their design defects!

Quick Reply: Broken Exterior Door Handles