Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Broken Exterior Door Handles

Search this Thread

Old October 2nd, 2012, 11:04 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default broken outside door handles

if you get tired of replacing the plastic handles you can go to auto anything .com and buy billet aluminum handles that last forever
Old October 2nd, 2012, 11:07 PM
CF Beginner

has anyone heard of the noisy lifter that occurs somewhere after 50000 miles?
Old October 5th, 2012, 3:36 PM
Administrator

Received 157 Likes on 155 Posts

Might want to start a new thread for your question as I fail to see any relevance to door handles, broken or otherwise.
Old October 12th, 2012, 9:29 AM
CF Beginner

My Wife's 2007 Suburban has had 2 of the Chrome Exterior Door Handles break. The First was covered under Warranty. The second was way out of warrantyed so I fixed it myself for $5.

Start out by removing the handle and the broken plastic stud. I put a dab of Super Glue on the stud and re-attached it to the handle. Let it dry for an hour or two so it is set up and fixed in the right position. Then I mixed the Gorilla Glue 2 Part Epoxy and applied it liberally to the stud/handle. I had to watch it for about 15 minutes to make sure that the expoxy didn't run into places I didn't want it to. I let it dry overnight and reinstalled the handle. That was 3 months ago and no more problem.

Name:  2007SuburbanDoorHandle.jpg
Views: 1502
Size:  54.4 KB
Old October 12th, 2012, 2:32 PM
CF Beginner

Location: Physically in Norhtern VA, my heart is in SW Virginia.

You can buy the replacement handle on line for about $28.00. You can watch a video on utube on how to pull the panel and repalce them. Annoying but easy fix. Also one of the responders asked about coverage by an extended warranty. You need to read the specific list of covered items that came with your "Extended Service Agreement" it is not a warranty, service agreements are mechanical insurance plans. What they cover is spelled out in the terms of the contract. If the manufacturer covers an out of warranty repair it is a "Customer Goodwill Action" as noone can extend, modify or imply any warranty beyond what the manaufacturer provided when new. If someone does it is a hidden warranty (illegal) or they have to provide the same to all from that model year or a form of compensation. Don't hold your breath! A TSB is just a technical advisory and for information only, has nothing to do with a recall. Understand some state laws do varry.
Old October 13th, 2012, 4:05 PM
Administrator

Received 157 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by trukytex
My Wife's 2007 Suburban has had 2 of the Chrome Exterior Door Handles break. The First was covered under Warranty. The second was way out of warrantied so I fixed it myself for $5.

Start out by removing the handle and the broken plastic stud. I put a dab of Super Glue on the stud and re-attached it to the handle. Let it dry for an hour or two so it is set up and fixed in the right position. Then I mixed the Gorilla Glue 2 Part Epoxy and applied it liberally to the stud/handle. I had to watch it for about 15 minutes to make sure that the epoxy didn't run into places I didn't want it to. I let it dry overnight and reinstalled the handle. That was 3 months ago and no more problem.

Nice update and pic. No experience w/ Gorilla epoxy but JB Weld is great and they have a 4-5 minute version.
Old October 13th, 2012, 7:23 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Wasn't the root cause of this due to a too the use of long of a screw or over tightening at the factory...
Old October 21st, 2012, 3:32 PM
CF Beginner

My 2008 Tahoe LTZ has done the same thing with the rear driver's side door.

Can someone point me to:

1) A video that will show me the best way to get the door panel off?
2) A replacement handle someone has had good luck with?

Thanks!
Old October 21st, 2012, 8:39 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Welcome to the forum...
YouTube is your friend for some great how to video's

The factory ones should have the issue resolved, you might even want to check to see if its covered at your dealer...
Old October 25th, 2012, 6:55 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the response. I figured YouTube was my friend; just wasn't doing the right search.

I'll give the factory handle a shot.

Thanks so much. We'll see if I can get it done. I'm more of a computer guy than a "car" guy.

Quick Reply: Broken Exterior Door Handles