Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Broken Exterior Door Handles

Search this Thread

Old April 13th, 2012 | 8:17 AM
Administrator

You are very welcome Do let us know how it works out and if you can take a few pictures. Post a picture of your broken handle if you can...
Old April 13th, 2012 | 6:41 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Bonnie Parmenter
This is a lot of work people should not have to be doing. This is a factory defect. My 2007 Tahoe's door handles pulled lose after only one year: all four. This was not covered under warrenty.
If the truck was still under warranty at the time then it should have been covered.
Old June 28th, 2012 | 6:37 PM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

WARNING!!! TO ALL CHEVY/GM TRUCK OWNERS!!!!!If your door handles are pulled away from the vehicle it means someone was attempting to or has already broken into your car!! I noticed the same thing when my car was broken into 4 different times. There is a defct in GM trucks,which all crooks know about, where the door can be opened and car alarm disengaged simply by poping the door handle off and depressing inside the lock column. Property crime detectives in big cities are very familiar with this technique, as a detective in LAPD informed me of this problem with GM trucks. Airport parking lots near LAX are even asked by the police to park all GMC, chevy, and cadillac trucks in the same row so they can be watched constantly. This is because crooks all know about the door handle defect and how easy it is to exploit, so much so that GM trucks have become a huge target. If you suddenly notice your yood handles popped off, CALL THE POLICE and file an insurance claim. After filing the insurance claim it should help lower the cost of any repairs. However, I feel like Chevy/GM should fix it for free, seeing as its a defect in the car's alarm/door lock system. Literally they can get into your car with nothing more than a flathead screwdriver in under 5 mins. I think GM should be required to fix the defect and it is a defect. Does anybody else agree?

Last edited by Onskate21; June 28th, 2012 at 8:18 PM.
Old July 23rd, 2012 | 2:20 PM
CF Beginner

If crooks have keyed in on this GM workmanship problem, it only proves that GM is the problem. Can't blame the crooks!! Putting the same lame plastic handle in the door every time one pulls out does nothing to FIX the problem...but GM and dealer make more money on it every time it happens on parts and labor. I've been driving for 30 years and never had a vehicle's door handle to pop out or pull out on countless vehics!!! I've replaced all 4 on my 08Sub once, 2 of them twice, and I have one hanging out of the rear/ds door now. BTW, all the door panels have been removed so it sounds like I'm driving a Snap On Tools Truck now. I'm so sick of this SH#$!Y quality from GM I can't stand it. I will not buy another Govt Motors vehicle for the foreseeable future, and by the way, you can buy a Toyota that is more made in the USA now anyway. I have loved Chevy/GM all my life, been a loyal fan (grew up in Olds Vista Cruisers), but this company sucks now and their products are suffering. The dealers should be ashamed to show them at current prices. You pay $60k for a big box full of plastic pins rods and bolts that are made to break. My 01Tahoe felt twice as sturdy with 185k miles on it than my 08Sub new (which will prbly never see 185k miles). Does anyone have contact numbers at GM corp to get ANYTHING done about this? I'm not paying for another door handle!
Regards.

PS - My next truck is likely a Ford!
Old July 24th, 2012 | 7:51 AM
Official GM Rep

Originally Posted by budfox
If crooks have keyed in on this GM workmanship problem, it only proves that GM is the problem. Can't blame the crooks!! Putting the same lame plastic handle in the door every time one pulls out does nothing to FIX the problem...but GM and dealer make more money on it every time it happens on parts and labor. I've been driving for 30 years and never had a vehicle's door handle to pop out or pull out on countless vehics!!! I've replaced all 4 on my 08Sub once, 2 of them twice, and I have one hanging out of the rear/ds door now. BTW, all the door panels have been removed so it sounds like I'm driving a Snap On Tools Truck now. I'm so sick of this SH#$!Y quality from GM I can't stand it. I will not buy another Govt Motors vehicle for the foreseeable future, and by the way, you can buy a Toyota that is more made in the USA now anyway. I have loved Chevy/GM all my life, been a loyal fan (grew up in Olds Vista Cruisers), but this company sucks now and their products are suffering. The dealers should be ashamed to show them at current prices. You pay $60k for a big box full of plastic pins rods and bolts that are made to break. My 01Tahoe felt twice as sturdy with 185k miles on it than my 08Sub new (which will prbly never see 185k miles). Does anyone have contact numbers at GM corp to get ANYTHING done about this? I'm not paying for another door handle!
Regards.

PS - My next truck is likely a Ford!
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> I'm sorry you are experiencing this problem with your vehicles. I would be happy to look into this issue further for you. Please PM the last 8-digits of the VIN and the mileage for the vehicles with this problem.

Or if you prefer, you are welcome to contact Customer Service via phone at: 1-800-222-1020 (Mon.-Sat. 8am-9pm ET).

I look forward to your reply.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old July 24th, 2012 | 3:59 PM
CF Junior Member

Default My laugh for the day...

Originally Posted by MDTAHOE
TECHNICAL

Bulletin No.: 09-08-64-032

Date: September 25, 2009

Subject: Chrome Outside Door Handle Loose/Cracked at Attachment Screw (Replace Handle)

Models:
2007-2008 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT
2007-2008 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe
2007-2008 GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali, Yukon Denali XL

Condition

Some customers may comment that a chrome outside door handle is loose or cracked in the area of the attachment screws.
Anyone else notice that these TSBs always seem to begin with "some customers may comment..."?

I suspect that the bulk of the comments--on this and other common issues--is something like "What the...? @#$%&#@!!!!!"

1988 Mercedes Benz 560SL (Wife's)
1998 Mercedes Benz S420 (Wife's)
1995 Mercedes Benz C280 (Daughter's)

2007 Chevrolet Suburban K2500 3LT (MINE)
1978 Cadillac Fleetwood 75 Limousine (awaiting restoration) <!-- / message --><!-- / message --><!-- / message -->

<!-- controls -->
Old July 27th, 2012 | 7:42 AM
CF Beginner

To:
Louis
GM Customer Service

I don't know how to PM...VIN last 8 digits are 8G102652, 08 Chevy Sub. Has 100k miles. You can PM me if you need to.
Old July 31st, 2012 | 10:59 AM
Official GM Rep

Originally Posted by budfox
To:
Louis
GM Customer Service

I don't know how to PM...VIN last 8 digits are 8G102652, 08 Chevy Sub. Has 100k miles. You can PM me if you need to.
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Thank you for providing your information. I attempted to PM you, however, it appears that you have chosen not to receive PM's, therefore I will post on the forum.

You stated that you have had several handles replaced. Have you ever contacted Customer Service regarding this issue? Were they all replaced at the same dealership?

I would like to look into this further for you. If you have contacted Customer Service, please provide the Service Request number. If not, I would like to set-up a case for you regarding this issue. Please send the following additional information: your full name, address, phone number, actual vehicle mileage and the name and city of your dealer.

Please feel free to email your information to my direct email address listed below (located in the signature area). If you are not comfortable providing your information via email, please feel free to contact the Chevrolet Customer Assistance Center at: 1-800-222-1020. Any agent will be able to assist you further. Agents are available Mon to Sat, 8am to 9pm ET; Closed Sunday.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old July 31st, 2012 | 12:35 PM
CF Addict

Default doors?

Please, Door Defects? my $55k piece of **** tahoe has always been a disgusting disappointment.

I'm looking for the youtube of a retired GM worker who's caddy was stolen from her home 6x or so...
Old August 1st, 2012 | 12:36 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2007 Chevy Tahoe a lemon

I called Kendall Chevrolet in Eugene Oregon and asked if this was covered on warrenty and they told me no!!!!! I was still under warrenty. I did not have them repaired for some time because the quotes were over $500.00. I eventually had them repaired at a non-chevy repair shop and it cost me over $500.00. This is obviously a factory defect and should have been repaired by Chevy especially under warrenty. That is why my next auto purchase will be a BMW. When they told me everything was covered under warrenty when I purchased my x-5 in 2005, everything, including brakes were covered. Tires were the only thing I paid for for the first 3 years. This Tahoe and the x-5 were the same price approximately $48,000. The Tahoe had problems and problems and non of them covered except the one recall item.
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
Thank you for providing your information. I attempted to PM you, however, it appears that you have chosen not to receive PM's, therefore I will post on the forum.

You stated that you have had several handles replaced. Have you ever contacted Customer Service regarding this issue? Were they all replaced at the same dealership?

I would like to look into this further for you. If you have contacted Customer Service, please provide the Service Request number. If not, I would like to set-up a case for you regarding this issue. Please send the following additional information: your full name, address, phone number, actual vehicle mileage and the name and city of your dealer.

Please feel free to email your information to my direct email address listed below (located in the signature area). If you are not comfortable providing your information via email, please feel free to contact the Chevrolet Customer Assistance Center at: 1-800-222-1020. Any agent will be able to assist you further. Agents are available Mon to Sat, 8am to 9pm ET; Closed Sunday.

Louis
GM Customer Service

Quick Reply: Broken Exterior Door Handles