Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Broken Exterior Door Handles

Search this Thread

Old March 29th, 2013 | 4:13 PM
CF Beginner

Would recommend that you use part of your $12k deduct to buy a better door handle design? All that we ask is to provide a truck that starts and drives that we can park securelY! If the exterior door handles are dangling you don't have much security?
Old June 14th, 2013 | 8:58 AM
CF Beginner

What are the chances of getting a third exterior door handle for the same car? Well, it happened today. How bad can this gets. At least it meets my expectations as I was told by one of my friends that eventually all of them will break down in order or usage, the first was the front driver side, mostly used, then front passenger side, second mostly used, and so on..If this has to qualify for an ISO certification, it will surely pass as meeting expectations of doing exactly as they say, "all door handles will break"!
Old June 15th, 2013 | 2:01 PM
Official GM Rep

latif99,

I am sorry you are having this concern. I would like to look into this further for you. Can you please private message me your name, VIN, mileage, address, and the name of your GM dealership? Look forward to hearing from you soon.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old June 26th, 2013 | 10:53 PM
CF Beginner

Default Suburban door handles/head gaskets

Well I have seen the numerous issues with the door handles. I have a 08 Suburban LTZ with 2 broken rear handles. My dealer refused to fix them when I had under 50k miles. I had taken it in for 2 recalls and a overall check before my warranty ended. Gee why did I spend $54,000.00 on this vehicle. What a disappointment to spend the money and find such cheap parts. Secondly they found a leaky head gasket and replaced only one side even though they said they have been having problems with a design flaw. My vehicle was over 2 quarts low on oil. Just wanted to make you all aware of the head gasket problem. It appears GM is keeping it quiet. My family currently owns over $200K in Chevy vehicles all purchased new. Step up and fix these door handles.
Old July 15th, 2013 | 10:26 PM
CF Beginner

Default One of mine broke today...ugh

My 08 Tahoe rear door handle broke today. From reading the posts, it appears to be the chrome handle is the most susceptible. Pretty disappointed that this massive truck has such puny handles. Also learned that the "razor" chrome interior handle is a known problem. A couple of years ago my 3 year slit her finger open when she was in her car seat. She started crying when I was driving down the road. I thought she was upset about from being tired, but much to my horror, I looked back and saw blood all over her hand. She had to wear a bandaid for a few days--it was a like a really bad paper cut. I "fixed" it by applying gorilla glue to the chrome laminent.
Old August 19th, 2013 | 1:34 PM
CF Beginner

Default Same door handle problem

I know I am in the wrong thread since I have a GMC Sierra 1500 but it was the best match for my issue. My husband took my 2010 GMC with 34,000 to the dealer today and they had to replace the broken exterial door handle for the same reason descibed above. He had to pay $175 to replace the handle. If GM knows of the issue, as the tech told him this happens all of the time, why aren't they doing anything about it? I find it a bit rediculous to have to pay that kind of money for a known issue. Are they just hoping all of the vehicles are out of warranty before they break? Along with it, they told us the AC compressor is going bad and will cost $1,100 to fix. Really??? On a vehicle that has only 34,000 and is 3 months out of warranty??? I have had multiple GM vehicles and never had issues like this. Very aggravating!!!
Old August 19th, 2013 | 7:44 PM
Official GM Rep

Hi dlavery,

We understand your frustration and apologize that you have experienced this problem. If there is any additional warranty information we can look into for you, or questions we can answer, please let us know.

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old August 21st, 2013 | 6:37 PM
CF Beginner

They are pretty easy to replace. One of mine broke last week. Picked one up on EBay new for $25 shipped. A few screws and 30 mins later, done.
Old September 30th, 2013 | 7:57 PM
CF Junior Member

Guess what another one of mine broke, this time driver side rear is pulling apart!
Old October 14th, 2013 | 5:11 PM
CF Beginner

Angry Broken Door Handles

I purchased a 2008 Avalanche LTZ new off of the showroom floor. A few months later, 2 of my door handles broke. They covered the repairs under warranty, and admitted that there was a problem. I wanted them to replace all 4 handles and told them that their should be a recall. The dealer said that they were obligated to only change broken handles, and there was no recall on the handles at that time. I would have to come back when the other 2 broke.
4 1/2 years later.....still no recalls, and still handles are breaking.
I have the left rear handle broken at this time. I ordered the replacement on line and will replace myself. Afterwards, FOR SALE BY OWNER
Why can't they just handle the problems. Keep repeat business instead of loosing cutomers due to this type of nickle and diming BS?
See Ya Chev !!!!!
Oh Yea....And as for Obama....Very convienient to blame Replublicans for the only Government shutdown in the historuy of the USA, under Obama's Watch. Obama's Watch! Did I mention...Obama's Watch.....FUO!

Quick Reply: Broken Exterior Door Handles